Raspberry PI 3 /w Darkice Multiple Feeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have successfully Setup Darkice on Raspberry PI 3, my question is to add a second feed is all i need is a second cfg file to /etc/ where the first file is saved?

thanks in advance

DC31

Feed Provider
I have successfully Setup Darkice on Raspberry PI 3, my question is to add a second feed is all i need is a second cfg file to /etc/ where the first file is saved?

thanks in advance

Phil, i think you are correct. With the second cfg file having the hw:x,x address of the second sound card.

Then your commands to start darkice will be:

darkice -c /etc/darkice1.cfg

And

darkice -c /etc/darkice2.cfg

DC31

Feed Provider
I've been using

sudo service Darkice1 start

Is the command you posted similar?

Oh yeah, i forgot, mine is set up differently. I run my darkice in a detached screen rather than as a service. Those two commands should start the two instances of darkice for you but they will stop when you end your session. Let me take another look.

sorry...

DC31

Feed Provider
The solution

Phil and I worked out the details today. For the reference of everyone else the steps to set up a second feed are in the attached darkice2.txt document. I think you could repeat these steps and run a third, fourth and who knows how many feeds off a single pi. Shall we start a contest? If anyone sets up multiples past two on a pi, please post back here with your experiences. Here are Phil's two feed both running off one pi:

Henry County Sheriff, Fire and EMS Dispatch, Eminence Police - Analog

Oldham County Police Dispatch 1

The second attached document outlines how to set up a local icecast feed so you can listen locally to sort the bugs out before sending them on to broadcastify.

Let me know if I messed up the write up of the steps.

Thanks for bringing this up, Phil, as I think others will be interested in running multiple feeds off the pi.

Last edited:
I am using 2 traditional Scanners on 2 separate USB sound cards
From what I've read the quality of your feed falls on the kind of sound card you use, I got 2 basic plane Jane no frills sound cards and when you listen to the audio you can tell it

hazard78

Feed Provider
Does anyone have an image built for a Raspberry pi3 with broadcastify and darkice? Im having issue getting it to work.

DC31

Feed Provider
I assume that you are probably following the instructions on setting up a RPi feed that are on the RadioReference website? If so, are you running into problems with the line:

sudo service darkice1 start

???

bakechad

Phil & DC31,

What does your processor load look like when you are running 2 streams?

Also, have you had any problems with the hardware addresses changing when you reboot? I remember running into this with Darkice & Ices2 many years ago.

DC31

Feed Provider
I don't have any dual feeds running currently. On my TTD/darkice pi the darkice gets audio from pulseaudio and runs 4-5%. That is on an original Model B

On a pi2 running only one instance of darkice, it is 5-6%. That one received audio through alsa.

On a pi3 running ubuntuMate and TTD/darkice, the darkice is at 5-6%.

I have never had an IP address change on reboot. At least not that I can remember.

bakechad

Thanks for the info. At that CPU usage, you theoretically could run a lot of simultaneous streams.

Sorry, I didn't mean network address. I meant USB, where the HW:# changes on the USB sound cards. I thought I had to do something to make them remain static after reboots. It was a long time ago, things in the kernel may have changed since then.

n1gbb

Raspberry Pi 3 image?

I have not been able to find a simple image that will work with my Pi 3. Everything i see is for a Pi 2 which won't work on my 3. I am new to the Pi computer. I have a 2 and that works just fine. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a easy to use Pi 3 image. I have 9 Pis for 9 different feeds waiting to come online.

DC31

Feed Provider
Here is a link to an image containing darkice that runs on a pi3:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9sLdBjMInCVbVdlTjFfX0tkYTA/view?usp=sharing

The image is made from a 4 gb card.

The configuration file for darkice is /etc/darkice1.cfg

After you have put your credentials in the configuration file start darkice:

$ darkice -c /etc/darkice1.cfg

This will cause darkice to load and run streaming to broadcastify if you have entered your credentials correctly and no other computer is already streaming that feed. If you get an error message, post here what it is. When starting darkice this way, the stream will stop when your ssh session ends.

Once you get it running, power cycle the pi. When it boots up darkice will run in a detached screen and will remain running after you log out of your session on the pi.

The configuration on this image also streams locally to an icecast server on the pi itself. You can listen to the local stream from another web browser on the same network by browsing to piipaddress:8000 (likely something like 192.168.1.xx:8000). Then click the m3u button to start listening.

Last edited:

dbarry722

I assume that you are probably following the instructions on setting up a RPi feed that are on the RadioReference website? If so, are you running into problems with the line:

sudo service darkice1 start

???

Hi DC31

I have your image up and running manually on my Pi but the 'sudo service darkice1 start' has baffled me.

What I'm trying to achieve is that if for some reason power to the Raspberry Pi is interrupted then restored, that Darkice starts automatically.

As it is at the moment, if I power cycle, I can only get Darkice to start if I enter the command manually.

Any ideas?

regards

Declan

DC31

Feed Provider
Hi DC31

I have your image up and running manually on my Pi but the 'sudo service darkice1 start' has baffled me.

What I'm trying to achieve is that if for some reason power to the Raspberry Pi is interrupted then restored, that Darkice starts automatically.

As it is at the moment, if I power cycle, I can only get Darkice to start if I enter the command manually.

Any ideas?

regards

Declan

Starting programs on the Pi3 has also baffled me. My neophyte understanding of it is that all the previous versions of Pi/debian used service to start programs and now that has changed to systemd. I have been unable to figure out systemd. Why you seem to be able to manually start the service but not automatically is beyond me. Have you tried putting the "sudo service darkice1 start" line in crontab to start it at boot?

Use the command $ crontab -e to edit the crontab file. You may be asked to choose a text editor.

The crontab line would look like this:
@reboot sudo service darkice1 start

dbarry722

Starting programs on the Pi3 has also baffled me. My neophyte understanding of it is that all the previous versions of Pi/debian used service to start programs and now that has changed to systemd. I have been unable to figure out systemd. Why you seem to be able to manually start the service but not automatically is beyond me. Have you tried putting the "sudo service darkice1 start" line in crontab to start it at boot?

Use the command $ crontab -e to edit the crontab file. You may be asked to choose a text editor.

The crontab line would look like this:
@reboot sudo service darkice1 start

Hi DC31

I discovered through another thread that crontab was possibly another way to go so and successfully tried that on a Raspberry Pi 2 under Wheezy.

Going to try the same tomorrow on your image using a Raspberry Pi 3 just to see what happens

Many thanks

Declan

K7AZ

Feed Provider
RPi-3 Feed & DarkSnow

Can any one tell me if DarkSnow will set-up/work without having the USB audio device?
The USB Audio device is back ordered so attempting to set up the Pi-3.
My old feed used ProScan and a Dell 9020 Micro PC.

Thank you,
Chris K7AZ

DC31

Feed Provider
Can any one tell me if DarkSnow will set-up/work without having the USB audio device?
The USB Audio device is back ordered so attempting to set up the Pi-3.
My old feed used ProScan and a Dell 9020 Micro PC.

Thank you,
Chris K7AZ

The pi3 is equipped with a sound card but it works for output only. You will need the USB audio device for sound input from your scanner/radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.