Raspberry Pi using EZSTREAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9IJB

I gave up trying to use Method 1. I am trying to use EZSTREAM.

I filled in the data required for the config file. I removed the spaces and ran the script.
I got the following. bash: syntax error near unexpected token '<'

When I run the start streaming script I get the following error. bash: /var/log/bcfy1.log permission denied

Help will be greatly appreciated. I'm using a Raspberry Pi 3 and Raspian.

DC31

Feed Provider
If you are game to try something new, image your SDCard with the latest Raspbian OS, Buster. Get the gui version without the recommended software from the downloads section of raspberrypi.org. Boot to the desktop, then navigate to the Add software section under Preferences. Search for darksnow, only one item will come up. Install darksnow. It is a graphical interface for darkice. After installation you will find it in the raspberry pi drop down under Other. Most of the entries are pretty straightforward, the source you want is hw:1,0. If you need help with the parameters, please ask.

This requires using the most up to date Raspbian. Older versions load darksnow v0.6.1 which doesn’t work. V0.7.1 comes with Buster and works.

Personally, I have never had any luck getting EZStream to work satisfactorily on a pi.

N9IJB

I loaded Raspian OS, Buster and Darksnow. What is the Remote dump file and Local dump file? I have them blank for now.
I tried 'start' stream and nothing happened and then I tried 'stop' stream, got 'terminated' as the text. Are any other updates or
entries need to be made.

DC31

Feed Provider
There are two tabs that need to be filled out. The attached images show an example. Make sure that you use valid credentials (server,port,mountpoint,password) from bcfy. Use the Show Details button to display the output. A successful connection doesn’t show much output.

FDA2A901-F15A-422E-9322-733D3FF89EA7.jpeg082112D2-34C0-4073-A558-E2598E724B58.jpeg

Once you get it to start, you need to choose the Quit and don’t stop darkice option under the File menu to exit and keep it streaming.

N9IJB

When I go to OTHER and click on DARKSNOW I get the message. Failed to execute child process 'x term' (no such file or directory)

I can go directly to the terminal mode and type DARKSNOW and pull up the config file and load it. I can then start the stream.
The stream does work as I see it on the BROADCASTIFY app.

No audio. I use a PLUGABLE USB audio adapter. I plug my audio cord into the red jack. I use the same cord that plugs into my Lenovo computer. No audio from the pi. I ordered a new adapter to try in case the Plugable is faulty. I'll try it when it arrives.

Your thoughts?

DC31

Feed Provider
Sorry, I missed your post as I was traveling. It sounds like you might need to change the device input. If you have pulseaudio installed on the pi you may need to choose pulse or default and then use pavucontrol to make sure that darkice connects to the usb sound card.

Hopefully, you have already figured this out.

N9IJB

Sorry, I missed your post as I was traveling. It sounds like you might need to change the device input. If you have pulseaudio installed on the pi you may need to choose pulse or default and then use pavucontrol to make sure that darkice connects to the usb sound card.

Hopefully, you have already figured this out.
The Plug in sound card was bad. Replaced it and the Pi works just dandy. Thanks for your help. I did program the Pi per your instructions.

W2JKK

Once you get it to start, you need to choose the Quit and don’t stop darkice option under the File menu to exit and keep it streaming.

What do you need to do to make it automatically restart after rebooting?

DC31

Feed Provider
What do you need to do to make it automatically restart after rebooting?

There is another thread with some information on auto booting:

If you read through that thread, you will find mixed results with the various methods described, so no guarantees. Generally speaking, using a crontab line and starting it in a detached screen seems most successful.

Install screen: sudo apt install screen

Access your crontab file by typing crontab -e at a terminal prompt. The add this line to the end of the crontab file:

@reboot screen -dmS darkice-stream darkice -c /home/pi/.darksnow/darkice.cfg

The above is all one line with a space between the -c and /home.

Then reboot your pi and give it 5-10 minutes to see if the stream starts on bcfy. You won't see any stream indication on the pi. You can check to see if it loaded by typing screen -list at the terminal prompt.

Good luck.

DC31

Feed Provider
I have been baffled by rtl-fm on the raspberry pi. Never had any success with it. So a couple months ago I decided to get a pi4 and give it another go. Still no luck.

However, on the pi4 it pretty easily runs GQRX which makes the fiddling with sdr settings just a little easier. Now, I have GQRX running on the pi4 and feeding audio into TwoToneDetect through pulseaudio. I didn’t see any reason that I couldn’t pipe it into darkice from pulseaudio and run it as a bcfy feed.

zapman987

Premium Subscriber
I can get audo out of RTL-FM just fine, I just dont understand how to use SOX or anything else to stream.

GQRX I cant get audio out of. Just a signal. Its also too CPU intensive on a Pi, leads to either heat or voltage crashes.

DC31

Feed Provider
On the pi4 it is about 30% cpu including ttd. 65-70 C. If i put the top on the pi case it goes over 80 and throttles. No voltage problems experienced. It has bern running steadily for about two weeks now.

I would love to get rtl-fm to work but it has eluded me.

Status
Not open for further replies.