• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Rays Pager Phase 2 preorder info

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
This is Well Said i knew this G5 VHF did NOT have Phase-2 when i got mine maybe people need to do better READING up on things better before buying. I'm 100%%%% Happy

But we knew it would be Phase 2 capable later on when the firmware would be completed, so his response is not correct, as he stated "they were not phase 2 compatible" when in fact, yes, they are phase 2 compatible, with the upcoming firmware upgrade.

I am not complaining, I am patiently awaiting the bugs to be worked out to purchase my upgrade.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
I have a G4 and a UHF G5 that I purchased from Ray's Pager Sales sometime ago. I asked how those of us that already own the Phase I pagers will be able to get the Phase II upgrade.

His response:

"The plan for the Phase 2 upgrade is to use a utility that Unication embeds your pager serial number into and emails it to you to download the Phase 2 upgrade. We are still waiting on Unication to see how all that works as we did not recieve any version of that utility yet. They are saying we should see the upgrade sometime in March."

mdsxfire

EDBM
I have a G4 and a UHF G5 that I purchased from Ray's Pager Sales sometime ago. I asked how those of us that already own the Phase I pagers will be able to get the Phase II upgrade.

His response:

"The plan for the Phase 2 upgrade is to use a utility that Unication embeds your pager serial number into and emails it to you to download the Phase 2 upgrade. We are still waiting on Unication to see how all that works as we did not recieve any version of that utility yet. They are saying we should see the upgrade sometime in March."

I’m guessing that for those of us who pre ordered and get our units with the phase 2 firmware will have to download new pps compatible with it to program our individual systems in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

verhoffj1

Premium Subscriber
I’m guessing that for those of us who pre ordered and get out units with the phase 2 firmware will have to download new pps compatible with it to program our individual systems in.

That's a good question anybody want to chime in?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

KM4OBL

Authorized Personnel
New PPS Version Coming with Phase 2...?

I would say yes as the PPS has changed with each firmware release.

Oh, that's interesting. I requested and downloaded the current PPS version yesterday, to help me learn about how to do the programming before my G5 arrives. I will now assume that I will need a new version to program my unit when it arrives, but I guess it can't hurt to become somewhat familiar with the program using the current version. I have never programmed a scanner or pager before, so this is a learning experience for me that will take some time.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
You should be able to import the profile you create into the newer version when release.

troymail

Silent Key
Oh, that's interesting. I requested and downloaded the current PPS version yesterday, to help me learn about how to do the programming before my G5 arrives. I will now assume that I will need a new version to program my unit when it arrives, but I guess it can't hurt to become somewhat familiar with the program using the current version. I have never programmed a scanner or pager before, so this is a learning experience for me that will take some time.

The PPS version changes with each firmware release - mostly, from what I've seen - because additional options/parameters are added to the programming.

Each PPS version seems to have no trouble "up converting" your existing profiles to the new format but I can't say for sure about "going back" to older versions if you were to choose that option.

When going forward to a new version, the conversion is more or less automatic inside the PPS.

If you go backwards, you definitely would want to have saved your older profiles and rewrite the profile to the radio after installing older firmware versions.

radio3353

Do we need a new 'It's not fair' thread? This thread is about Ray's pre-order offer, but it seems to be going off topic with sad stories.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Ummmm, no sad stories here. Like I said, when the Phase II firmware is released, if I have to pay then so be it. But don’t expect me to push your products if your going to screw me again. I guess the theory of treating the customer right only helps your business is forgotten sometimes.

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Psst... scanner hobbyists are not the target demographic.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Yeah, ummm, a lot of us here are not just hobbyists. We are also Public Safety professionals. Think about the agency that doesn’t have the money to upgrade. Yet all the agencies that surround them are using a P25 trunked system and want to use the G5 for situational monitoring. I can personally attest to how long it takes for information to go through two dispatchers. Or all the volunteer fire departments throughout the U.S. that aren’t issued agency radios and could use this enroute to the firehouse. I could keep going but I think I made my point.

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
The product does work properly. Not getting your way is not the same thing as being disrespected.

The hobbyists thought it was a good deal and a value for their dollar at the time of purchase. What changed, other than a better deal coming along? Sorry, but that’s life. No one has been disrespected.

Status
Not open for further replies.