RDF schematics and kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

PA8W

In the past 5 or 6 years I developed and built a number of VHF/UHF radio direction finders, based on the pseudo doppler principle and recently the Amplitude principle.
All designs are -like all professional designs- soft-switching , so without the high noise level found in all cheap hard switching designs, which gave the doppler RDF a rather doubtful reputation in the amateur world.

On my website I share information about easy to build antenna arrays and RDF processors.
And for those without electronic background there is an almost ready to use, microcontroller based kit with semi-professional performance, able to work as a pseudo doppler RDF as well as an Amplitide RDF, depending on the type of antenna array used.

Members of this forum might be interested in this matter.
If so, just google my call PA8W.

Wil pa8w

Attachments

• 20151016_102243.jpg
    20151016_102243.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 762

PA8W

Allright,

If you have any questions just post them here.

Wil
pa8w

jaaredmond

In the past 5 or 6 years I developed and built a number of VHF/UHF radio direction finders, based on the pseudo doppler principle and recently the Amplitude principle.
All designs are -like all professional designs- soft-switching , so without the high noise level found in all cheap hard switching designs, which gave the doppler RDF a rather doubtful reputation in the amateur world.

On my website I share information about easy to build antenna arrays and RDF processors.
And for those without electronic background there is an almost ready to use, microcontroller based kit with semi-professional performance, able to work as a pseudo doppler RDF as well as an Amplitide RDF, depending on the type of antenna array used.

Members of this forum might be interested in this matter.
If so, just google my call PA8W.

Wil pa8w
Very cool! Do you have any tutorials on the build? I am looking to make a RDF using a raspberry pi.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PA8W

No, I don't have any additional information available other than currently available on the website.
For the RDF41 I chose for a working kit to lower the threshold for people who don't have any electronic background.
The predecessing V2,3 conventional doppler had to be built almost from scratch, since I only offered bare PCB's.
Unfortunately this approach produced a lot of emails of people that were not able to get things working.
I spent way too much time trying to help them out.

Therefore I chose for the "almost ready to use" approach this time.

I don't have any experience with the raspberry pi, so if you want to use the pi as the core of a RDF you will have to do some deelopment yourself ;)
However, there's a lot of generic info about RDF's on the website that will help you to make the right decisions during the prcess.

Within a few days I hope to add some more antenna designs for the UHF dopplers/amplitude RDF's

Wil
pa8w

PA8W

RDF Mapper

Latest news:

In 2016 I posted a call for help on my website for developing a Mapping program that plots my own RDFbearings on the map.
That wish was fulfilled by Jonathan Musther from New Zealand.
In the past month we cooperated to develop a new version: RDF Mapper.
This new program is much better compatibel to all possible oprerating systems
Additionally it offers the option to upload your own bearings and download and plot bearings from remote RDF stations at the same time.
So everything conveniently on the same map.
Testing is finished, I cant' find a way anymore to frustrate or upset it, so it's time for publication.
I don't have to explain to you that multiple RDF's in such a network are a massive tool to get to a radio source fast and efficiënt.
Jonathan asks approx. 27 dollars for a user license which is a bargain in my opinion, considering what you get for that plus considering how much time and effort went into this.
Jonathan also offers to deliver customized versions, all against a very modest price.
I worked with him for the last 2 years now and I can surely recommend you to do business with him.
His website:
RDF Mapper
My own explaining:
PA8W Radio Direction Finding

Cheers,
Wil.

Status
Not open for further replies.