re, BCD396XT, my impressions and a wish list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Hey there. now that i`ve been the proud owner for a while now of a new BCD396XT, which i love, for reasons that i`ll mention in a short, i thought i`d give my first impressions and my wish list for any feuture major firmware update. First the really cool stuff :).

One. I really like that nifty "system hold" feature, what a convienient thing to have, no more having to hold the function key in to stay on a desired system to scan, just press and hold the "hold/close call" key and there ya go, totally nice to have that.

two. Site trunking, what can i say but FINALLY!! Enter the TGID`s once instead of over and over for each site like on the `396T, again, really nice to have.

Three, changable backlight colors, now there`s another nifty feature, great for at night (like when i`m on the bus up north :)). Nice to be able to choose a color that`s easier on the eyes at night instead of that blindingly bright blue, thanx Uniden!

Now the wishlist.

One, please bring back a feature that i had on my `396T, the ability to manually set the P25 threshold level, while the "automatic adaptive threshold" feature is nice and i`m sure convienient, when ya have a problem system like a trunked one that seems to have problems with the "auto" setting, one could just set the level manually and hopefully fix it, same with conventional P25 systems that wouldn`t always decode, the ability to "optomize" the decode threshold was a nice feature to have.

two (might be just a small one :)), don`t know if anyone else has noticed this, but when scanning P25 trunked systems, normally one would see the "DAT" icon so ya know that the unit has locked onto the c`channel and is properly tracking, however i`ve noticed (at least on my `396XT at least anyway) that the "DAT" icon dosen`t appear while scanning (on my 396T it did while scnning P25 trunked systems, i`ve tested and confirmed this by watching both scanners and noting the displays), mabey fix what i`m calling a bug with a feuture update or in a major update? Also P25 trunktracking could use some improvement as well.

Well there ya have it, as i said, this is a great scanner and i`m happy i snagged it at Dayton this year, it just needs some tweaks, however all in all i still say this is one nifty scanner, only unit that could even compete is the HP-1. N9NRA

Status
Not open for further replies.