• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

RE: Is it Legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA4MJF

RE: Is it Legal

I've heard, but am not sure, that there are older Moto 800 MHz rigs
that one can get and program in a systems frequencies RX only or
activate a transmit inhibit, and scan them.
Of course, it would not have talk groups, but just scan the frequencies and
stop on active ones. I'm told that these do not transmit to affiliate.
IS THIS TRUE? If so, what are some examples that would do APCO25 and
analog.

Thanks!!

N9JIG

Sheriff
WA4MJF said:
I've heard, but am not sure, that there are older Moto 800 MHz rigs
that one can get and program in a systems frequencies RX only or
activate a transmit inhibit, and scan them.
Of course, it would not have talk groups, but just scan the frequencies and
stop on active ones. I'm told that these do not transmit to affiliate.
IS THIS TRUE? If so, what are some examples that would do APCO25 and
analog.

Thanks!!

While it is possible to program some trunked radios not to auto-affiliate there may be difficulties programming them to not transmit.

In order to program them for a trunked system regardless of the transmit status you or your shop would need the System Key and other trunked system parameters that control access. It would be a lot easier and cheaper to get a scanner that handles the type of trunking you would need.

WA4MJF

Well, I'm not talking about a trunking radio, Rich. I'm talking about the older conventional 800 MHz radios,
that would just scan the frequencies associated with each site. I don't
see why one would need a key just to prgram the frequencies at each site, less the control
channel, as I would imangine it would stay locked on that all the time. I would think
that you could hear the comms on each frequency, but I don't even know if a TG is all on one
frequency when it is in use or maybe it frequency hops.
Maybe someone gave me some wrong info.

N9JIG

Sheriff
For conventional (non-trunked) modes you can program them for RX only. Some RSS programs have you just leave the TX freq blank, some have you enter a "B" for Blank.

EncryptionMan

I have not programed an MTX8000 in a LONG time but if I recall you can program conventional frequency's in that radio with no trouble. I looked in my stockpile of stuff I never wanted to trash :) but could not find one to try it on to confirm. Sorry.

wlmr

WA4MJF said:
but I don't even know if a TG is all on one
frequency when it is in use or maybe it frequency hops.
Most likely depends on the trunking system. On most the ones I'm aware of the talkgroup conversation hops from frequency to frequency.

There's a couple of settings, one a parameter that always makes any radio on the system that wants to respond to what someone else on a talkgroup said go ask for permission and get a channel assigned. With this setting you'll see a talkgroup conversation change frequencies everytime someone else new talks.

Another setting puts a wait timer on the talkgroup and keeps the frequency reserved for that talkgroup until the timer lets go. If a radio waits too long to respond to a talkgroup conversation, they again get assigned a different frequency.

In either event, if the system is rather busy you'll be getting bits of different conversations. Before scanners came along that could follow a trunked system they acted the same way. Whether you could program a radio not to transmit but receive a specific systems individual frequencies or not, you'll likely be dealing with the situation I'm describing above.

I suspect that other than as an academic exercise in whether you could program a radio to do as you describe you'll end up looking for a scanner that can follow the trunked system to save any remaining hairs on your head.

dsheli

Just got download labrss from somewhere on the internet, it will allow you to program in talkgroups with out a key.

David
800mhz XTS5000R on the Statewide Palmetto 800

Status
Not open for further replies.