BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Re: programing my scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve-kc7byp

I have the Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 scanner. I emailed Uniden Tech support for some help in programming this SDR scanner, this is my 1st realy true SDR type scanner. I couldn't make heads or tails of the book that came with the scanner. A tech by the name of Owen emailed me back a wealth of info that cleared up everything except for 1 thing. He told me to find the Benton county, WA Proj25 phase 2 digital freq's at RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database I went through the steps to find Benton county, WA. There is NO freq's listed on the Benton county, WA page. Now I am stuck again. I have all the info that I need to program the scanner except for the freq's.

Steve

cg

Premium Subscriber
Look at the bottom of the Benton County page. You will see Trunked Radio Systems in Benton County. The second one is likely the one you want. You then would program the system using the frequencies listed under the Simulcast.
The 996P2 is not a SDR scanner but I had good luck with a simulcast P25 Phase 1 system for years with it.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I have the Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 scanner. I emailed Uniden Tech support for some help in programming this SDR scanner, this is my 1st realy true SDR type scanner. I couldn't make heads or tails of the book that came with the scanner. A tech by the name of Owen emailed me back a wealth of info that cleared up everything except for 1 thing. He told me to find the Benton county, WA Proj25 phase 2 digital freq's at RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database I went through the steps to find Benton county, WA. There is NO freq's listed on the Benton county, WA page. Now I am stuck again. I have all the info that I need to program the scanner except for the freq's.

Steve
This link is for Canadian frequencies, I see your in West Richland WA

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Uh... I don't think the 996 is an "SDR" scanner.
(The 100 and 200 are Uniden's only SDR radios).

BTW - Benton Co 800 is probably where you need to look.
It is a TRUNKING system.
If you don't know what that is - ask.
You need to know the basics in order to understand how to scan...

Benton County 800 Trunking System, Benton County, Washington - Scanner Frequencies
Benton County, Washington (WA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

The attached is actually an .hpe file, but they are not allowed as attachments here.
Change the extension to .hpe and you can import directly.

Attachments

• Benton.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 10

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Uh... I don't think the 996 is an "SDR" scanner.
(The 100 and 200 are Uniden's only SDR radios).

BTW - Benton Co 800 is probably where you need to look.
It is a TRUNKING system.
If you don't know what that is - ask.
You need to know the basics in order to understand how to scan...

Benton County 800 Trunking System, Benton County, Washington - Scanner Frequencies
Benton County, Washington (WA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

The attached is actually an .hpe file, but they are not allowed as attachments here.
Change the extension to .hpe and you can import directly.

I may be confused, but how is he supposed to import a .hpe file into a BCD996P2?

steve-kc7byp

I assumed that the 996p2 was a SDR type scanner. This is the newest scanner that I ever owned. I got it new direct from Uniden using part of my 3rd stimulus check. The ham operator that lived in the south part of Kennewick a few years back before his house burned down because of a grass land fire, was using this model of scanner to rebroadcast the Police/fire. That's why I got it. Right now the scanner is stuck in weather scan/wx operation. I don't know how to get the scanner out of weather scan and into manual mode.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
If you would like instant gratification, visit a local volunteer fire dept and ask if there is a resident scanner knowledgeable individual that could help you understand your new radio. That could get you a sit-down session with someone who will explain and show how to program.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yes this scanner is new to me and tricky. I have never programed a trunking digital scanner before
Have you installed software to use in programming your 996P2?

As long as you don't need DMR (AKA MotoTRBO), or NXDN, FreeSCAN can handle basic programming for your area.
Sixspot Software (FreeScan)
FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

FreeSCAN is free to download & use.

There are two DMR & one NXDN trunked systems listed for your county. Bit these appear to have mostly business users, along with some school district users.

Other software packages that work with your 996P2 include ProScan & ARC-XT. Both have a 30 day free trial period. After that expires, you would need to either purchase a license to continue using the one you prefer, or discontinue use, as it will quit functioning.

If you want to try & program without using software, you can find step-by-step instructions in the Easier to Read manual for your scanner.

However, for a new user (new to either the hobby, or new as regards the model just acquired, which uses a different programming system than earlier models), software has several advantages. First & foremost, when programming, you can see just about all of the needed information at one time. That makes it much easier to spot minor errors & omissions that need correcting than it would be if you were programming using only the keypad, and have to cycle through various menu screens to see what was entered, or what needs to be corrected. Also, using software, if you get stuck, you can post your programming file and another member on the site can take a look & suggest what needs to be changed. Also, if you get really stuck, someone can post a file for you to load & use. This not only can get you back on track, but also gives you an example of how certain things need to be handled.

Should you elect to become a Premium Subscriber, you can use software to import channels & systems directly from the database. However, both FreeSCAN and ProScan have an option to essentially cut & paste from the database page for your county & trunked system, to get what you need into the software. (I don't have ARC-XT, so I can't confirm whether or not ARC-XT can do the same,)

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Message 5 is accurate, short of the attachment part.

Disregard message 13, absolutely false.

Be sure to look at the videos I linked in the wiki.

I never use quick keys as shown in the video, I just set the system to one group quick key.
In the video from the link from K4DPS for radioreference programming...the #50 and that it. Be sure to set ID SCAN option he missed.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Don't know what goes in where - never owned one.
My bad for trying to help......

I suppose I could have confused him more by that.
I would note that while an *.hpe file cannot be directly used in a non-database DMA Uniden scanner, it can be imported into ProScan, with the imported information converted into a file that the non-database scanner, such as a 996P2, can utilize. But unless the OP installs one of the software packages that supports his scanner, no file, even with the correct format, will be of help.

steve-kc7byp

I have Scancat-Lite Plus installed. But Scancat can only see com ports, not USB ports. Plus Scancat only see's BCD996XT, not 996P2 that I have. Also as you know most laptops have no com ports now. How do I connect the USB cable so Scancat will see my scanner?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have Scan-cat-Lite Plus installed. But Scancat can only see com ports, not USB ports. Plus Scancat only see's BCD996XT, not 996P2 that I have. Also as you know most laptops have no com ports now. How do I connect the USB cable so Scancat will see my scanner?
You can find the Uniden Serial Port driver on the page below, along with information on how to install it.

Download the file & unzip the contents of the file. Using the contents of the file, your PC can then recognize the USB cable connecting your scanner to the PC as being a serial port after using the contents of the file for the correct driver.

Scancat software is not a very good choice, and many users have reported issues with it. FreeSCAN will work for your 996P2 once you install the serial port driver.

steve-kc7byp

You can find the Uniden Serial Port driver on the page below, along with information on how to install it.

Download the file & unzip the contents of the file. Using the contents of the file, your PC can then recognize the USB cable connecting your scanner to the PC as being a serial port after using the contents of the file for the correct driver.

Scancat software is not a very good choice, and many users have reported issues with it. FreeSCAN will work for your 996P2 once you install the serial port driver.

1 off the Scancat cd came with the scanner when I got it. Thanks on the info as to where to find the driver. And I will look into the FreeSCAN program.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
1 off the Scancat cd came with the scanner when I got it. Thanks on the info as to where to find the driver. And I will look into the FreeSCAN program.
FreeSCAN, as the name implies, is free to download and use. And I can guarantee you you that many many more RR members have access to FreeSCAN than have ScanCat.

steve-kc7byp

I can't find freeSCAN anywhere when it comes to a program like Scancat. I have found many programs related to a flat bed scanner or a scanner built into a printer or a fax machine.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I can't find freeSCAN anywhere when it comes to a program like Scancat. I have found many programs related to a flat bed scanner or a scanner built into a printer or a fax machine.

Hope this helps Steve!

FREEscan Download

FREEscan User Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.