Re Uniden HomePatrol And GRE Equiv. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Have been reading about the new Uniden HomePatrol.

Thinking of getting one, but Very disappointed that there is no way to add an individual frequency.
Apparently, if it's not in the RR database, forget it.

I think it is a very big mistake to not be able to program in an individual frequency.

Anyone happen to know if GRE will be coming out with a "similar" unit in the "near" future ?

Any rumors on ?

Thanks,
Bob

al95

Hello,

Have been reading about the new Uniden HomePatrol.

Thinking of getting one, but Very disappointed that there is no way to add an individual frequency.

I think it is a very big mistake to not be able to program in an individual frequency.

Anyone happen to know if GRE will be coming out with a "similar" unit in the "near" future ?

Any rumors on ?

Thanks,
Bob

I agree with you Bob. I will not pay $500 on a scanner that I cannot enter individual freq. I'm sure GRE will come out with something.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
So remind me why you guys who are just getting into scanning have frequencies that you haven't submitted to the RRDB?

WA1ATA

I've played with the database used by the Sentinel software for the Home Patrol. It only took a few minutes for me to figure out how to use a standard text editor to add frequencies and make simple alterations to the database. And I'm by no means a computer geek.

My prediction is that within a couple weeks after the Home Patrol release that you will be able to download simple software packages to enter new frequencies into the Home Patrol.

Much ado about nothing.

Now if you are trying to do something the firmware doesn't support, then you will have a problem.

Charlie

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I will not pay $500 on a scanner that I cannot enter individual freq. I'm sure GRE will come out with something.
Agreed, half the fun of scanning is discovering and listening to non-published freqs.

GRE answered the BCD-396T with the PSR-500, so you can be reasonably sure they're taking all this discussion into account when they design their next product.

And they do read these forums - this was evident after the PSR-500 was released. Nags and nitpicks expressed on these forums were answered very quickly in the form of non-stop PSR-500 firmware updates (for those who remember).

n4yek

If they do decide to make a scanner similar to the Home Patrol, I hope they make it less dependent on the database and not dependent on a computer to enter frequencies.
Make the thing field programmable!!!

safetypro79

Scanning since 1967
Premium Subscriber
Anchorage-Alaska, Boise-Idaho, Salem-Oregon
Database wrong even before it's released !

I see Unidens database for my local area Boise, Idaho is already incorrect at least with channel designations which could mean wrong frequencies.

I realize it's a daunting task to keep up with all the changes in US systems and almost impossible to get local area designations correct on each frequency, but neverless I'll keep my flawless PRS-500

n4yek

I see Unidens database for my local area Boise, Idaho is already incorrect at least with channel designations which could mean wrong frequencies.

I realize it's a daunting task to keep up with all the changes in US systems and almost impossible to get local area designations correct on each frequency, but neverless I'll keep my flawless PRS-500

I know what you mean, I submitted changes to systems in my area and they just made footnotes in the listing about it and left the freqs un-changed.
That won't make their scanner work and is why I won't buy one.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber

That would be because you (or whoever did it from your area) submitted incorrect designations to the RRDB. Why not fix it?

I realize it's a daunting task to keep up with all the changes in US systems and almost impossible to get local area designations correct on each frequency

It really isn't. RRDB is the best database of its kind, because local people submit the information. If you gave the RRDB bad info in the past, it'd be better to submit a fix so everyone (even non-HP users) would benefit!

Status
Not open for further replies.