Ready Made Emergency Go-Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonzalu

Hello all,

I have been looking for a ready-made Emergency Go-Box I can buy where I can just mount my radio(s) and and antenna (and external power to charge batteries etc.)

Frankly, All I find is DIY videos, websites, etc. My problem isn't that I can't do it myself, but I just don't have any equipment to do any work, even light work. I live in a small apartment in NYC and my wife can't even stand me opening up my computer for replacing a hard drive :p

My goal is to have a portable station with an Icom IC-7000 and one or two Uniden DIN scanners. Right now I have two BCD536HPs that I could use but will likely use 536 one and a Uniden BCT15X.

The closest thing I have found is the P.E.M.S. solution from ScannerMaster which is very nice but only supports scanners. It is also quite pricey without any radios at around $900.

I like this build by KC6TYD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_95WEjoeA0

Thanks for your help and advice.

GrumpyGuard

Here is a business run by a fellow ham he also has a YouTube Channel USNERDOC. His company is Amp-3 based out of his home in Portland Oregon. He has a comms go bag as well as battery packs and other equipment you might be interested in. I am not affiliated with him I just happened to find his channel by accident.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Oh, how I love that Gator Box in the second video. There are 7 "slightly used" on eBay for $75 currently.

N0IU

I think the problem you are going to run into is that there are so many variations on what people would like to have in their portable station that it might be darn near impossible to find a turn-key kit made exactly to your specifications.

So it seems to me that your choices might be:
a) Have someone custom build one for you.
b) Adjust your requirements.

Even if you go with plan b), there still aren't that many turn-key portable stations out there. (DX Engineering makes one (actually they make several but they come in different color cases - DX Engineering Go Kits) But even at that, it just looks like it as an accumulation of stuff packed into a sturdy case, and not a ready-to-go station where you open up the case, hook up to some kind of power, attach an antenna and start operating. In addition to this, you will need some sort of AC power. If you want to be truly portable, you will need some sort of DC power like one of these: http://www.westmountainradio.com/dc_power.php Also, it looks like it is just for HF voice operations. If you want to add digital to the mix, then that will require more hardware. So you see, there are a lot of choices you will have to make.

I do not want to discourage you, but there are just way too many variations on portable operations to find one ready to go. That is why you (and I) are not finding them.

Last edited:

gonzalu

I think the problem you are going to run into is that there are so many variations on what people would like to have in their portable station that it might be darn near impossible to find a turn-key kit made exactly to your specifications.

So it seems to me that your choices might be:
a) Have someone custom build one for you.
b) Adjust your requirements.

I do not want to discourage you, but there are just way too many variations on portable operations to find one ready to go. That is why you (and I) are not finding them.

All VERY GOOD points and I agree. I actually was looking for a modular setup that I could just add radio(s) and parts. Perhaps one with the built in racks / shelves, power distribution (RigRunners, Power Supply (or add my own), SWR meter(s) and Speakers and Antenna Ports, Battery pack(s) charger, auto switch, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.