Realistic PRO-43

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasby

If you do a search you'll see lots of people still use and love them. In fact, someone asks alomst the exact same question as your's every couple months or so.

bkantor

Pro-43 still active

Yup, still have my Pro-43 (with that special little mod) and I still use it on occasion to monitor marine and aircraft - not much use for police due to trunking, but a nearby county (Nassau Cty, NY) is still using conventional frequencies, so I listen to them as well. I bought that radio around 1990 when I was actually working at RS where a coworker did some mods for me. Still one of the most sensitive handhelds I've ever owned. I have dozens of scanners which I sell from time to time to upgrade (just got a Pro-106), but I will never part with my 43!

Bob

SCPD

QRT
Frankj I have 2 pro 43, you are so right, both pickup lots milcoms when I go down the outer banks , with oceana navy flights and air planes from langely afb, ,and when they use dare county bomb range its hard to keep up with them, trouble is now the keypads they are dying, and one just about used its last breath, , but the freqs still pickup in both radios, great milcom radios. plus I get to see them flyby, from the beachouse hope yours holds up ,cul Bob

rasputen246

I also have 2. Still in use as garage scanner & one actually providing a feed. Not bad for my area, still non T UHF.

I also bought my pre FCC model in the early 90's and I doubt it has been off since then.
Bought one on the bay a while back, cleaner than the one I have had since new.

Not quite boatanchors yet where I live.
I also have several other scanners (non digital yet) and these things just hold the niche areas down.

Last edited:

trixwagen

Picked up another Pro-43 off of eBay...not sure why..maybe I missed my old one. I forgot, how shall I put it...how "quaint" it is to program everything on the keypad...no Win-43 here...no alpha tags..no digital...no trunking..no CTCSS..no parts available...an actual squelch tail...a tiny little display light..six AA batteries?? Made in Japan instead of China. When's the last time you bought a scanner that beckoned you to open it up and do a few mods? Or one with the squelch and volume control "upside down" because it is assumed you will operate it clipped to your belt with a single earpiece stuck in your ear like you're Secret Service?

DOES picks up milair pretty well. Of course. I don't know. I usually don't buy electronics out of some need for nostalgia. Might stick it back on eBay. Might keep it forever. Haven't decided.

KC0KM

I still have mine, but have not used it for years, it too had the key board of death sort to speak. It was a great scanner, but since most of the systems in my area are trunked, I have no use for it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.