realistic pro antenna help advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunbow

Hello to all users and future friends,I have just recently bought a realistic pro 2006 and bought an antenna which has been giving me a little hassle concerning receiving strong signals compared to the small screw on antenna which comes with the scanner.The small ariel which screws onto the top works graet but after buying a new antenna which must be the Scanstick 2 ULTIMATE Fibreglass as it was bought for me as a gift don't seem to work as good? I first had hassle with the pl259 which did not fit the antenna unless I removed the center pin which I did but still the reception is nowhere as good as the small screw antenna?
Please can someone advise what could be this cause please? I am using cb coax and the Scanstick 2 ULTIMATE is placed in my loft but still I am not happy.I opened the unit to look inside for any visible damage incase it had something to do with that but as far as I can see there is no damage or loose connectiongs. Any genuine advice would be very helpful as now I am thinking ive bought the wrong antenna for the radio.
Thank You very much for reading and I hope someone can shine light on my problem.Shaunbow.

doublescan

What are the specs on that antenna? Couldn't find anything on ixquick search for it, I'm wondering if it is actually a cb radio antenna. CB antennas don't usually make good all-around monitor antennas in my experience. If you removed the center conductor, that is probably the reason it is failing. Hopefully some other members who are in UK will come along to suggest better scanner antenna for you, that is available in your location.

N8IAA

Hello to all users and future friends,I have just recently bought a realistic pro 2006 and bought an antenna which has been giving me a little hassle concerning receiving strong signals compared to the small screw on antenna which comes with the scanner.The small ariel which screws onto the top works graet but after buying a new antenna which must be the Scanstick 2 ULTIMATE Fibreglass as it was bought for me as a gift don't seem to work as good? I first had hassle with the pl259 which did not fit the antenna unless I removed the center pin which I did but still the reception is nowhere as good as the small screw antenna?
Please can someone advise what could be this cause please? I am using cb coax and the Scanstick 2 ULTIMATE is placed in my loft but still I am not happy.I opened the unit to look inside for any visible damage incase it had something to do with that but as far as I can see there is no damage or loose connectiongs. Any genuine advice would be very helpful as now I am thinking ive bought the wrong antenna for the radio.
Thank You very much for reading and I hope someone can shine light on my problem.Shaunbow.

That is because the PL-259 is not the correct connector for the 2006. You needed a SO-239 female to BNC male to match that antenna to the scanner. By cutting the center connector out and just placing the larger screw on connector over the BNC connector, the antenna can not give you the best on signal strength. In fact, as you noted, worse than the antenna that screws into the top of the radio. You'll need to find someone to either solder a new PL-259 connector onto the coax, or, solder a male BNC on. I think you'll notice the difference:)
HTH,
Larry

shaunbow

Realistic Pro Antenna problem reply

I cannot thank you enough N8IAA for your advise and help regarding this matter. You so helped me out and now I am taking your advise and hope to have this matter fixed with smiing results thank you.
God Bless you my friend take care.Shaunbow

shaunbow

realistic pro antenna problem puzzled

I am sorry but after looking at your advise I am still unable to connect to the antenna due to the pl259 centre pin being the same size of the antenna connection. I need a pl259 BUT with a smaller centre pin than the pl259 to screw onto the antenna unless I remove the centre pin!? I wonder if this is what you mean please sir? Your advise is sound when connecting to the back of the radio scanner but not to the antenna unless again I remove the pl259 centre pin! would this be the correct way sir?
I have tried to find a pl259 that comes with a smaller centre pin but I cannot anywhere which leaves me one choice and that's use a pl259 but break off the centre pin which will allow me to connect into the antenna. I am so sorry about this reply I am just wanting a perfect connection without breaking off the centre pin from the pl259 if it at all possible.

shaunbow

realistic antenna problem fixed

I have solved the antenna problem by using a n-type plug ;) thank you to both replies I am very grateful indeed and sorry for the thread comments replied by myself it took days to get this info and get this fixed.
Im off to lock myself in a dark cupboard with a biscuit and a saucer of milk for a wk.

Status
Not open for further replies.