• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Really goofy question for telecom folks . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
. . . but, hey, that's just me.

So, when I lived in Chicago, I took Metra - the light rail system - a lot, from Des Plaines to downtown. Something really weird about the downtown Chicago station (Ogilvie, though God only knows why they named the station after him :roll: ) . . . when you got down by the trains, there was a very strange sound effect when announcing incoming and departing trains. The autovoice would say something like "Chicago to Harvard, departing on track 12", and it would repeat across this huge cavern of tracks, slightly delayed at each track.

The effect was kind of creepy, actually - like an echo across this literal cavern: "Chicago to; Chicago to; Harvard, departing; Harvard, departing . . ."

So I just heard this same effect on my Uniden HP2 - didn't get the freq, but it brought me right back to the creepy Ogilvie Metra station!

How does this happen? One would think transmissions so close would have no delay at all. Really just curious.

And, if you want to experience this eerie effect, take a train to Chi-town!

Echo

What you were most likely hearing was the echo effect of two radios nearby, for example if a mobile user is wearing a portable and transmits on one - or the other - the transmission travels to the tower and back to the other radio's speaker with a slight delay - causing the echo effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.