Really need help to decode Inmarsat

stevefroggatt

Premium Subscriber
Well, its not actually decoding Inmarsat, I need to find one of them first. Everywhere I look seems to point me to 4-AF1 (not convinced thats its correct name) at 25° East or 4-F5 at 54° West,.

Firstly none of the android apps from play store show where these sats are, but i am guessing thats because they are in a geostationary orbit. Secondly "54°"?? I thought that would have been east as well.

If there is anyone out there who could point me in the direction of resources that will allow me (located in the UK) to find the direction of these satellites that would be much appriciated.

Thanks
Steve

737mech

Premium Subscriber
The 54 degrees refers to Longitude degrees. 54 is west of the prime meridian.

Last edited:

scudGB

HI STEVE
i also live uk ,if you have a pc or laptop use DISHPOINTER you put your postcode in then drap a pointer to your house then select alphasat and it will show you a overview of your house with a nice line pointing to sat
quick way is take a look at sky dishes around your area as the astra sats are at 28.2 so point slightly to the right of dishes
what antenna are you using ? scud

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Inmarsat Coverage | SatPhoneCity. Take a look at coverage map. From UK looks there might be 3 possibles? Point the antenna at the green one off the coast of Africa with a 15 degree up angle.

Out of date 2013 information. better source:
This site has position/frequency information for L-Band (not just acars)
(you need join the group)
and then there is:

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber