Rebanding In Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

mciupa

Database Admin
According to the WIKI aricle in the FAQ about rebanding , the only Ontario jurisdictions that will be planning to reband is the Region of Peel and also Parliament Hill in Ottawa.
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Rebanding

the article also lists which scanners will not work properly with the rebanded configuration.

Before I read the article I thought the logical places that would reband would be border towns like Windsor, Fort Erie , Niagara Falls etc.. but I don't see them listed.

rhutch

I haven't heard anything, so even IF it does, I doubt that it will be anytime soon. We really don't have the spectrum crowding that they do down south, but due to the proximity to the border we might be forced to eventually.

Well I take it back there seems to be a few on the list on the Wiki site (that does make it so but).

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The unclear/unspecific answer from the 800rebanding page...

I’m in a Border area. How does this affect me?
At this time, we don’t know. The FCC Order says that, to the extent possible, the new 800 MHz band plan should be adopted in the Border area, but this will require revisions to treaties between the U.S. and Canada and Mexico. The FCC has asked its international negotiators to begin discussions with the other countries toward making those revisions, but no one knows how long that might take.
http://www.800mhzrebanding.com/government.html#20

N

nec208

I guess so much for picking up PRP if they do that.

When are they doing that? Why not open up the 700MHz.I'm not buying other scanner when one comes out that does this.

Last edited:

DaveH

mciupa said:
According to the WIKI aricle in the FAQ about rebanding , the only Ontario jurisdictions that will be planning to reband is the Region of Peel and also Parliament Hill in Ottawa.
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Rebanding

Other systems in Canada such as in Hamilton, Calgary, and Red Deer are
also listed.

Interesting, but I wonder what the source of Wiki information is. It sort
of looks like someone searched the RR database for Moto systems with
frequencies in the 866-869MHz range.

The wording says "will reband" and "are expected to reband"; which is it?
Not sure if there is an Industry Canada policy on this (haven't looked for it).
I'm also not sure if the Wiki person thinks ON and AB might be U.S. states.

Some of the Canadian systems fall within the U.S.-Canada co-ordination
zone, but not all e.g. Red Deer AB. This may have some bearing.

Dave

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Calgary is not even remotely close to being within range of the USA to require frequency co-ordination, and Red Deer is further north than we are.

I have heard nothing about our system (Calgary 753f) rebanding, and doubt it will happen at all. IF the system survives the provincial 700MHz P25 implementation, there may be something to see then, but the truth of the matter is, the Calgary DRS is due to reach end-of-life at juuuust about the same time AFRRCS is set to go live. Interesting coincidence, huh? ;)

maxtracs

rebanding in canada

I hope someone has a date or knows something because i own 7 maxtracs for me to listen to 12 21 22 works mississauga transit and a few other things i hope some one can tell me something soon so i can start replacing the radios also can someone tell me what radio motorola makes that will be rebanded will the astro or spectra have suport thanks alot guys

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Your Maxtracs would provide helpful as paperweights to hold open the programming manuals for your new radios, if /\/\ offered printed manuals any more. :D

I appreciate your fondness for them.. I have a fleet of Maxtracs in UHF conventional that are still chugging along nicely after 17 years (!!!) with virtually no signs of letting up. I've had only one of a dozen or so which has blown its speaker. They're pretty much bombproof, but from the Genesis (HT600/MT1000) era.. not very expandable, and not at all narrow-bandable or rebandable.

Knowing Motorola, I would suspect nothing short of the CDM series or XTL series will support rebanding. I don't know if there's another mobile line besides the XTLs and CDMs - perhaps the MotoTRBO line, but I don't know that that would make sense. The MCS series, if you can still find them (as I think they're NLA), might be a long shot, but I would put more money on Mother M expecting you to buy the latest and greatest if you want anything at all.

to2way

Premium Subscriber
ASTRO Spectras, XTS3000s, MCS/MTS2000s and of course the XTL/XTS 2.5k and 5k are all capable of 'rebanding' ops....assuming you have the minimum firmware rev

maxtracs

rebanding in canada

wow theres going to be alot of scanner users mad Is there enyone with a rebanded motorola radio or scanner if so where do we get the upgrade software

rhutch

maxtracs said:
wow theres going to be alot of scanner users mad Is there enyone with a rebanded motorola radio or scanner if so where do we get the upgrade software

Why the Unidens can be updated 296, 796, 396, 996 and 246. The new GRE's can also be updated. So I don't think there will be that many people will be upset, they did seel many Pro-96 in Canada (yes there are a few). Uniden will release software fixes as the rebanding is rolled out. You'll have to get the updated software from your radios manufacture.

Status
Not open for further replies.