Reccomendations for 800mhz mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marauder

Dazed and Confused
The last antenna improved my reception pretty well but it still isn't enough for me. Still losing reception time to time, still losing convos, Anyone have any recommendations for a new mobile antenna? I listen to 800mhz trunked system mostly. Our 911 medical dispatch (493mhz) comes in crystal clear wherever I am so I am just looking to improve on the 800mhz listening

robertcansler

http://www.scannermaster.com/806_866_Phantom_Laird_Mobile_Antenna_p/20-541639.htm

I have this on my truck and suto
great recrption i travel thru I 20
to work and hear loud an clear
from Aiken sc. to columbia sc
antenna is about $50 but has performed grest that is ehy i bought the one for my car
i did have a radio shop install them for me
monitoring palmetto system i travel thru several different towers. i still pick up
home town aiken sc 60 land miles away
clear

regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I use a phantom antenna too, the Laird Technologies TRAB7603 and it works great for me on 760-870 MHz. as well as UHF. This antenna is used on many police vehicles. Phantom antennas provide low visibility with a wide bandwidth and low angle radiation pattern that can produce results superior to many high gain antennas. I use mine on the inside rear deck on a mag mount (leasing). I can also move it to the roof if I'm traveling for even better range.

Swipesy

I use a phantom antenna too, the Laird Technologies TRAB7603 and it works great for me on 760-870 MHz. as well as UHF. This antenna is used on many police vehicles. Phantom antennas provide low visibility with a wide bandwidth and low angle radiation pattern that can produce results superior to many high gain antennas. I use mine on the inside rear deck on a mag mount (leasing). I can also move it to the roof if I'm traveling for even better range.

+1. I have used this antenna purchased in 2006 (Antenex back then) and despite being tuned for 800 band it performs very well on High VHF, and 400 UHF in addition to 800 band.

Marauder

Dazed and Confused
The last antenna improved my reception pretty well but it still isn't enough for me. Still losing reception time to time, still losing convos, Anyone have any recommendations for a new mobile antenna? I listen to 800mhz trunked system mostly. Our 911 medical dispatch (493mhz) comes in crystal clear wherever I am so I am just looking to improve on the 800mhz listening

Thank you everyone for your answers. Only question now that I have is will it pick up my local dutchcess 911 (493.9000) and all of the ect fire departments or the state troopers that operate on 155.5....?

Marauder

Dazed and Confused
Also could anyone explain what a ground plate is to me and where a reputable website for such would be?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Also could anyone explain what a ground plate is to me and where a reputable website for such would be?

The ground plane is the "other half" of the antenna. It's usually a vehicle body in mobile installations. Most antenna designs require a ground plane of some sort, especially in mobile installations. Not having a proper ground plane under the antenna can make it not radiate properly in transmitting applications, throw off SWR, etc.

A good multi band antenna that will do what you want is the Larsen NMO150/450/800 http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmo150-450-800-1050.html
$29.95 and uses a standard NMO mount.

cmdrwill

A ground plane relates more toward transmitting antennas. The Larsen NMO150/450/800 is probably the best scanner antenna out there.

They ALL require a groundplane, which is usually the metal car/truck roof. And they need at least a 1/4 wave in all directions, 18" at 150 mhz.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Any 1/4- and 5/8-wave antenna requires a ground plane. They may work to some degree without one because the coax feedline is acting as a partial ground plane, but having an actual ground plane will always improve performance.

Marauder

Dazed and Confused
The ground plane is the "other half" of the antenna. It's usually a vehicle body in mobile installations. Most antenna designs require a ground plane of some sort, especially in mobile installations. Not having a proper ground plane under the antenna can make it not radiate properly in transmitting applications, throw off SWR, etc.

A good multi band antenna that will do what you want is the Larsen NMO150/450/800 http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmo150-450-800-1050.html
$29.95 and uses a standard NMO mount.

So I got the antenna but foolishly never got the mount -__-

Would this mount look good to you ? - - TRAM 1250 NMO Mount 17ft RG-58 Coax PL-259 1GHz - Free Weather Cap - by W5SWL | eBay

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
So I got the antenna but foolishly never got the mount -__-

Would this mount look good to you ? - - TRAM 1250 NMO Mount 17ft RG-58 Coax PL-259 1GHz - Free Weather Cap - by W5SWL | eBay
Get a mount with coax that has the correct matching connector for your particular radio. Generally, radios have one of three or four connectors: Mini UHF, SO-239 which mates to a PL-259, BNC, and occasionally an SMA. There are others, too so be doubly sure to determine what you need first and then purchase.

Marauder

Dazed and Confused
Get a mount with coax that has the correct matching connector for your particular radio. Generally, radios have one of three or four connectors: Mini UHF, SO-239 which mates to a PL-259, BNC, and occasionally an SMA. There are others, too so be doubly sure to determine what you need first and then purchase.

Oh I see, I need a BNC ... I think I will go with this --- http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/tram-1233-bnc-1585.html

Until I find the time to drill into my car and perma mount it

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That would be fine for short term use.

A couple of things I'll add.

Tram is a Chinese company using an old American CB brand name. Quality is not impressive, as you can guess. I've looked at the Tram and Browning products at trade shows and I was not impressed.

You may save a few bucks going with Tram, and that might be fine for a short term solution, but if you plan on keeping this for many years, spend the extra few bucks and get the Larsen or Laird brand mounts. Higher quality, known brand name, etc.

Magnetic mounts can damage the paint. Make sure you clean the area where the magnet will sit very well, and clean it often. Dust gets under there and will scratch the paint. Discoloration can happen if it's left on long term.

Make sure you route the coax in a way that it doesn't get pinched. Through doors and windows will damage the cable and cause issues in the long run.

Marauder

Dazed and Confused
That would be fine for short term use.

A couple of things I'll add.

Tram is a Chinese company using an old American CB brand name. Quality is not impressive, as you can guess. I've looked at the Tram and Browning products at trade shows and I was not impressed.

You may save a few bucks going with Tram, and that might be fine for a short term solution, but if you plan on keeping this for many years, spend the extra few bucks and get the Larsen or Laird brand mounts. Higher quality, known brand name, etc.

Magnetic mounts can damage the paint. Make sure you clean the area where the magnet will sit very well, and clean it often. Dust gets under there and will scratch the paint. Discoloration can happen if it's left on long term.

Make sure you route the coax in a way that it doesn't get pinched. Through doors and windows will damage the cable and cause issues in the long run.

You make a good point. Ill spend the extra couple bucks and go for this - -- http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmommrbnc-4522.html

That should work with the antenna I just got correct?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Status
Not open for further replies.