R8600 Rec'd My R8600 Today and Passing Out Cigars!

Status
Not open for further replies.

w4amp

Premium Subscriber
Now that the novelty has worn off and the honeymoon is over, I have made several observations here. One, for all of the features and filters and waterfall etc. crammed into this thing, I am finding it a bit small. I am still trying to decide what software program to go with so that the radio face will be larger and right in my face on my 19-inch flat screen, but I am reading that for $170.00 the Icom software is 'limited'. RT systems I don't know much about other than it is $150 cheaper. To put this radio interface on my monitor is just to turn this $2300 radio into a seriously over-priced sdr dongle. Someone already noted this in another thread and I have to agree. I have no gripes about this fine radio, far from it. Could the tone detect be better? Maybe so, but I've got that on 6-7 scanners here already. The space I created for this radio is to the left of me and on my second shelf, not so ergonomic when I want to spin the dial and phase the filters. I need it right in front of me so I can tweak the knobs to my heart's content without stretching and squinting and muttering bad words and browsing eBay for more powerful readers. This is a fantastic radio, and it demands attention. I need to do some major radio desk renovations here in order to be able to see the display clearly and have it at my fingertips so I can touch the screen. So do I want 3rd party software just to make it easier to see? I'm on the fence here. I'm defeating the whole purpose, it seems, if I get software for the radio. To be or not to be. That is the question.

I'm surprised they do not have a video out jack on the back like the Icom 7100. Even though it was a non-standard jack it worked.

MStep

A 2006 over an R8600? I think some crack has been consumed, not alcohol.

I would not put down ANY receiver that is actually capable of receiving. Each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Even though my 8600 is my "go-to" radio right now, it does nothing to negate the work that my old RS 2004 and many other receivers still perform for me. In addition, some functions (like PL and DCS tone decoding) are handled more "cleanly" and easily on radios other than the 8600. I guess that is why many of us are reluctant to part with "old friends" who have served tirelessly for years, even when a pretty new face shows up at the door.

ridgescan

I would not put down ANY receiver that is actually capable of receiving. Each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Even though my 8600 is my "go-to" radio right now, it does nothing to negate the work that my old RS 2004 and many other receivers still perform for me. In addition, some functions (like PL and DCS tone decoding) are handled more "cleanly" and easily on radios other than the 8600. I guess that is why many of us are reluctant to part with "old friends" who have served tirelessly for years, even when a pretty new face shows up at the door.
Here too. My venerable old '04 BC785D handles the 800-trunked system here in San Francisco quite well. The 8600 doesn't trunk so there's that BUT when you focus that 8600 on something, especially distant UHF/VHF, man you won't get half its pure clean copy with a scanner.

NoiseLimited

Now that the novelty has worn off and the honeymoon is over, I have made several observations here. One, for all of the features and filters and waterfall etc. crammed into this thing, I am finding it a bit small. I am still trying to decide what software program to go with so that the radio face will be larger and right in my face on my 19-inch flat screen, but I am reading that for $170.00 the Icom software is 'limited'. RT systems I don't know much about other than it is $150 cheaper. To put this radio interface on my monitor is just to turn this $2300 radio into a seriously over-priced sdr dongle. Someone already noted this in another thread and I have to agree. I have no gripes about this fine radio, far from it. Could the tone detect be better? Maybe so, but I've got that on 6-7 scanners here already. The space I created for this radio is to the left of me and on my second shelf, not so ergonomic when I want to spin the dial and phase the filters. I need it right in front of me so I can tweak the knobs to my heart's content without stretching and squinting and muttering bad words and browsing eBay for more powerful readers. This is a fantastic radio, and it demands attention. I need to do some major radio desk renovations here in order to be able to see the display clearly and have it at my fingertips so I can touch the screen. So do I want 3rd party software just to make it easier to see? I'm on the fence here. I'm defeating the whole purpose, it seems, if I get software for the radio. To be or not to be. That is the question.

I'm like you, I wish it was a bigger radio. But... I still want one real bad! I've downloaded the datasheet and manual just to torture myself since it will probably be Christmas before I might get one. The USB IQ package is out and I think you can use SDRConsole with it now.
I was also told -but I really don't "know" - some one has figured out how to do DMR with it. You are a lucky guy - the 8600 is such a nice receiver for the price. Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.