recent takers of the TECHNICAL exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

trx680

For those of you who have recently taken the exam for your TECH licence ....tell me about it.

Is it written? On a computer? Multiple choice?
Did you pass it first time?

What else do you remember about the exam?

scanmanmi

If you're going to take it

DO NOT take pactice tests . Get a book or print out a copy of the test questions (300?). Cross out all the wrong answers! Study the questions and remaining correct answers. Taking practice tests fill your mind with wrong answers. Listen to lots of podcasts.

Take a look at the General. If you are confident then maybe study that and take both tests the same day. The General opens up the world.

Paper multiple guess.

k6cpo

The current Technician exam question pool expires June 30, 2018. The new question pool takes effect July 1, 2018. If you're studying the current questions, make sure you take your exam prior to June 30.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
DO NOT take pactice tests . Get a book or print out a copy of the test questions (300?). Cross out all the wrong answers! Study the questions and remaining correct answers. Taking practice tests fill your mind with wrong answers. <snip>.

I couldn't disagree with this advice more vehemently. Practice tests force you to think about how to answer the question, not memorize a particular answer. If you have learned the material, you will ace the test. What if you come up with a question you hadn't seen before? If you don't learn the material, you won't have a shot at answering it correctly. With a practice test, you find out where your holes are and what needs more concentration. Just memorizing 300 questions is pointless. If you learn the material, you will not be concerned about what question pool is being used.

Learn the material, don't memorize. Too many just memorize and it shows, later

Mike

Last edited:

I_am_Alpha1

I couldn't disagree with this advice more vehemently. Practice tests force you to think about how to answer the question, not memorize a particular answer. If you have learned the material, you will ace the test. What if you come up with a question you hadn't seen before? If you don't learn the material, you won't have a shot at answering it correctly. With a practice test, you find out where your holes are and what needs more concentration. Just memorizing 300 questions is pointless. If you learn the material, you will not be concerned about what question pool is being used.

Learn the material, don't memorize. Too many just memorize and it shows, later

Mike

I completely disagree with your disagree. There are, and never will be, trick or unpublished questions. The test pool is divided into categories and test generators are required to pull "X" number from each (different for each). For example 2 of 7 from safety, 5 of 20 from frequencies. Practice tests do the same thing...however some of them will not ask the remaining from the category if you are "testing" well...especially the smaller categories. I recommend using at least 4 different practice exams and when you can consistently score at least 95% on all you are ready. There is NOTHING wrong with memorizing the test pool. Yes, you will be a better person if you thoroughly understand the material...in reality, not needed.

I'm a VE team leader for two VECs and have tested hundreds...most common comment after passing--how do I use this thing. The tests and material do not adequately prepare operators...but they can build a radio. Most technicians only want to operate simple setup. There was a thread some time back asking about testing...many want to go back to the very hard version because that's what they did to get their ticket...I'm the opposite and believe technician should be just handed to you after completing an online application with the FCC...one that includes a few safety questions. Even the FCC has gotten out of the test business...they take whatever the NCVEC says. All test pools are online at NCVEC - Welcome to NCVEC.org

scanmanmi

My point of practice tests is that it visuall fills your mind with wrong answers. IE

T1E04
9. What determines the transmitting privileges of an amateur station?

• A. The highest class of operator license held by anyone on the premises
  • B. The frequency authorized by the frequency coordinator
  • C. The class of operator license held by the control operator
  • D. The class of operator license held by the station licensee
So you have to know the answer but when you go to take the test your brain retains these wrong images. You may then see it on the real test and it will look familiar but you will get it wrong. Print out the test and only look at correct answers.

techman210

I cannot count how many hams ask questions like "is this power supply too many amps for my radio?" or after being told their transmission was weak say: "I just turned up my volume control, is that any better?".

Perhaps they should rename the "Technician" license as the "Novice" license again, because these folks are a loooong way from being anything close to a technician.

RiverCity45

Two weeks ago I passes both Technician and General. I used hamradiolicenseonline.com. Enormously effective teaching method. They have the new Technician question pool.

KG5ZOK

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

needairtime

I like, or rather dislike questions like:

This is from the Amateur Extra exam so this may not apply:

(E9D10) What happens to feed point impedance at the base of a fixed length HF mobile antenna as the frequency of operation is lowered?

a) The radiation resistance increases and the capacitive reactance increases.
b) The radiation resistance decreases and the capacitive reactance increases.
c) The radiation resistance increases and the capacitive reactance decreases.
d) The radiation resistance decreases and the capacitive reactance decreases.

Apparently they switch the lettering around too...

Then what if VEC made the options read like this:

a) The radiation resistance increases and the capacitive reactance increases.
b) The radiation resistance decreases and the capacitive reactance increases.
c) The capacitive reactance decreases and the radiation resistance increases.
d) The capacitive reactance decreases and the radiation resistance decreases.

OUCH (though I don't think they were this evil)

Anyway, the answer sheet is separate from the questions sheet, and you may not mark the questions sheet. Scratch paper if you need it is the back of your answer sheet. make a big black dot over the letter that you select as the answer.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
God forbid that someone might actually learn something before taking the test rather than just memorizing the possible answers.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
While complaining about the test questions seems to be part of amateur radio, let's confine ourselves in this thread to the questions asked by the OP:

For those of you who have recently taken the exam for your TECH licence ....tell me about it.

Is it written? On a computer? Multiple choice?
Did you pass it first time?

What else do you remember about the exam?

If you want to complain about the test questions or the way people learn or the way the tests are administered, consider starting a new thread.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I an an active ARRL and W5YI VE and participate in teaching the tech and general licensing exams through a group here in Los Angeles area. Have also tested hundreds of new techs, many generals, and some extras over last several years. This year we will even try an extra class over a period of two weekends.
One of our group members has reviewed the new tech question pool through an ARRL source. There are about 80 brand new questions. Lot more questions including digital modes, APRS, and more radio theory including "resonance" circuits. According to ARRL and W5YI, the new book will be available in early June. We are holding one final tech class/exam in mid June and then will switch to new book/exam.
Frankly, most people don't really need to take a class. Just get the books and study. Our classes are considered a review. If you come in totally unprepared and expect to pass after attending the class one time around, many will fail in my experience. Our policy is to tell people to study for 2-3 weeks before coming. Almost all of our students who do this end up passing.
ARRL and FCC now actively considering opening up some more HF privileges to techs, including 40 and 80 meters for NVIS (near vertical incidence skywave) EMCOMM operation.
My philosophy to those taking the tech test is just try and pass the exam. Don't overthink the theory. Indeed, the real learning comes afterward with on-air-experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.