Pro-652: Recently made a crazy decision to buy this scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pattycake57

Recently I purchased the RS Pro 652, since I've always wanted a police scanner, it looked like a good one at Radio Shack. Then I saw the user-unfriendly instructions. Not one part of this did I understand and felt I landed on another planet. Then it says the best way to program it is to use a special cable, which not one Radio Shack in the county sold, and I tried them all. I looked online and found this overpriced 'specialized' cable for about $80. What a total scam! I received the cable with instructions in another language-not English. Uploaded the software CD and still have no clue what it's supposed to do. What a nightmare. If I'd known Radio Shack was this sneaky and devious I never would have purchased it. I still have not brought in any signal but the weather channel. I can see this will be a full time job learning to program it. I wish I got another brand. Does anyone have any ideas other than bringing it back and taking the company to small claims since it was on sale?

Blackswan73

The correct cable can be purchased from Whistler for about $35. Then you need software, there are three to choose from. You will also need a premium subscription to Radioreference

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
RS has the necessary cable in their stores (supposedly) - note the SKU number so you can ask for it directly. Here is the link from the RS website (links are always blue, both here and in our wiki)

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-usb-pc-scanner-programming-cable?variant=20332489157

Now as to how to get started with that radio, and links for the 3 software packages that work with it...

Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

There are also links there for the Easier to Read manual, and user guides (at the bottom) for 2 of the 3 packages. Mike

Nasby

Educate yourself.
Become an informed consumer.
Do a few minutes of research.

Scanning is great fun. The scanner you bought is an excellent unit.

Cables and software can be bought for less than $100 which will provide you years and years of enjoyment with your scanner.

jpm

The correct cable can be purchased from Whistler for about $35. Then you need software, there are three to choose from. You will also need a premium subscription to Radioreference

Only did the premie let it expire I enjoy programming my scanner with the information provided on this site.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
Educate yourself.
Become an informed consumer.
Do a few minutes of research.

Scanning is great fun. The scanner you bought is an excellent unit.

Cables and software can be bought for less than $100 which will provide you years and years of enjoyment with your scanner.

But then the OP wouldn't be able to file a lawsuit against Radio Shack. Apparently that is much more satisfying than doing some research.

Pattycake57

Ok, inspiring response; eventually I will figure it out

Bad timing though, a lot going on in my life. I didn't realize it would be such a complicated thing to listen to the local police and sheriff. In time I will get something programmed in. Thanks.

Kscan

Premium Subscriber
Hey, hang in there. Be patient and just start researching as time permits. I felt the same "crazy" and was very overwhelmed when I bought my pro 106. It a totally different way of scanning and programming frequencies. Once you decide on the software and get started you will like it and really start enjoying the capabilities of your modern scanner. If it's still too much, see if you can find someone in your area with the same scanner and who is willing to clone it. I'm not sure but I think Scanner Master sells an easier to understand manual. A little amount of work will pay off and you will be happy. Good luck!

scan18

Premium Subscriber
:roll: Apparently, 40 posts in 12 years makes one a trolling non-contributor who gets a kick out of others misfortune... :roll:

Hmm, you didn't find the OP's comments about Radio Shack being "sneaky and devious" and "taking them to small claims" a little strange?

I do feel bad that the OP is finding his new scanner overwhelming. I certainly can understand the frustration. But is that what we do now, blame the company instead of taking the time to learn?

Upon reading the OP's post again, I realize he may have been referring mostly to the cable and software as being a "scam". If that is the case, I apologize. I hope he is able to work it out and get some enjoyment out of the scanner. I also have a pro-652 and agree with what others have said about it being a good unit. I purchased Win500 to program the scanner, I think it is well worth the price.

Spec

Hmmm I have 3 652's and they are one of the easiest rigs to program and use. Maybe the "individual" that sold you the cable is the problem not RS. I'm not a big fan of the Shack but the cable price you may have paid is suspect.

CycleSycho

Hmm, you didn't find the OP's comments about Radio Shack being "sneaky and devious" and "taking them to small claims" a little strange?

I do feel bad that the OP is finding his new scanner overwhelming. I certainly can understand the frustration. But is that what we do now, blame the company instead of taking the time to learn?

Upon reading the OP's post again, I realize he may have been referring mostly to the cable and software as being a "scam". If that is the case, I apologize. I hope he is able to work it out and get some enjoyment out of the scanner. I also have a pro-652 and agree with what others have said about it being a good unit. I purchased Win500 to program the scanner, I think it is well worth the price.

;) Q: Hmm, you didn't find the OP's comments about Radio Shack being "sneaky and devious" and "taking them to small claims" a little strange?
A: No, I didn't. I saw frustration in the combined cost (outlandish cable cost definitely) and not being able to justify the total combined cost, yet.

;) Q: I do feel bad that the OP is finding his new scanner overwhelming. I certainly can understand the frustration. But is that what we do now, blame the company instead of taking the time to learn?
A: Funny, I thought you were having a little fun with someone elses troubles. What people usually do is help, not snap back with nothing to contribute.

;) Your closing: Upon reading the OP's post again, I realize he may have been referring mostly to the cable and software as being a "scam". If that is the case, I apologize. I hope he is able to work it out and get some enjoyment out of the scanner. I also have a pro-652 and agree with what others have said about it being a good unit. I purchased Win500 to program the scanner, I think it is well worth the price

My final: OP's gender is unknown, I also hope this member has a lot of fun scanning. I agree that scanner is very popular. I have no experience with that model, though. I hope the scanner doesn't have any internal problems. I can relate to hard to read instructions the OP stated. All too many times the person writing the manual is 'too close' to the item being used. That 'too close' results in translating problems as others are not as friendly with what the person is writing the manual for. Have to 'play' with it a lot, especially when items are made in a foreign country and the manual 'writer' has English as a second language. I know a 'new toy' comes with a learning curve, I'm pretty good with well written instructions and still have 'translational' (is that a word?) problems with interpretation of 'what was written vs what was meant'. I hope you take the time to address your apology to the OP, not indirectly through a reply to me. You actually started out diverting and justifying your original post in your reply to me (first two parts). You have no reason to apologize to me. I only ask of you the next time you reply to a post, you keep it focused on helping without insulting. I sometimes jumped in when I shouldn't have, and made it right when called out. Happy scanning!

marksmith

Recently I purchased the RS Pro 652, since I've always wanted a police scanner, it looked like a good one at Radio Shack. Then I saw the user-unfriendly instructions. Not one part of this did I understand and felt I landed on another planet. Then it says the best way to program it is to use a special cable, which not one Radio Shack in the county sold, and I tried them all. I looked online and found this overpriced 'specialized' cable for about $80. What a total scam! I received the cable with instructions in another language-not English. Uploaded the software CD and still have no clue what it's supposed to do. What a nightmare. If I'd known Radio Shack was this sneaky and devious I never would have purchased it. I still have not brought in any signal but the weather channel. I can see this will be a full time job learning to program it. I wish I got another brand. Does anyone have any ideas other than bringing it back and taking the company to small claims since it was on sale?
I have a 652, and you should be aware that you can program that radio completely manual, by creating a system, and adding frequencies and talkgroups to it, without any cables or software or PC.

All you need is the info from Radio Reference about the system you want to program, or the frequencies.

Then you need to assign the data to a scan list so you can toggle it on and off. I admit that I have programmed a number of scanners in the past, so I had a head start on what you need to set up, but just thought you should know that you can learn the radio without learning software and cables and all that.

If you elect the software route, you will be able to program the radio, but may understand slightly less about the radio and how it functions.

Some time studying the radio and manual and you can become proficient with that radio, which can receive anything except phase 2 systems.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The Getting Started article I gave earlier has a link to just such a set of manual instructions; keep in mind that the 652 is functionally the same as the 197, so you should be able to use them if you choose to do so.

Mike

Pattycake57

;) Q: Hmm, you didn't find the OP's comments about Radio Shack being "sneaky and devious" and "taking them to small claims" a little strange?
A: No, I didn't. I saw frustration in the combined cost (outlandish cable cost definitely) and not being able to justify the total combined cost, yet.

;) Q: I do feel bad that the OP is finding his new scanner overwhelming. I certainly can understand the frustration. But is that what we do now, blame the company instead of taking the time to learn?
A: Funny, I thought you were having a little fun with someone elses troubles. What people usually do is help, not snap back with nothing to contribute.

;) Your closing: Upon reading the OP's post again, I realize he may have been referring mostly to the cable and software as being a "scam". If that is the case, I apologize. I hope he is able to work it out and get some enjoyment out of the scanner. I also have a pro-652 and agree with what others have said about it being a good unit. I purchased Win500 to program the scanner, I think it is well worth the price

My final: OP's gender is unknown, I also hope this member has a lot of fun scanning. I agree that scanner is very popular. I have no experience with that model, though. I hope the scanner doesn't have any internal problems. I can relate to hard to read instructions the OP stated. All too many times the person writing the manual is 'too close' to the item being used. That 'too close' results in translating problems as others are not as friendly with what the person is writing the manual for. Have to 'play' with it a lot, especially when items are made in a foreign country and the manual 'writer' has English as a second language. I know a 'new toy' comes with a learning curve, I'm pretty good with well written instructions and still have 'translational' (is that a word?) problems with interpretation of 'what was written vs what was meant'. I hope you take the time to address your apology to the OP, not indirectly through a reply to me. You actually started out diverting and justifying your original post in your reply to me (first two parts). You have no reason to apologize to me. I only ask of you the next time you reply to a post, you keep it focused on helping without insulting. I sometimes jumped in when I shouldn't have, and made it right when called out. Happy scanning!

I have only had experience with CB radios, back in 1976 before the days of cell phones, and now since I drive a truck I use the CB regularly for the job. I couldn't have said it better-interesting how some will snap at others on a blog, without knowing a thing about that person, and indicates some issue they have. The instructions with the RS-652 were not clear, and the cable (one would expect) should have come WITH the scanner. A friend of mine has a scanner, and he said he never dealt with such issues, difficult instructions, special cable or software purchased separately. I usually do more research before I buy, and I can see it will be more of a project than I expected. Finally, I do appreciate the encouragement and am happy to learn that this scanner is a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.