Reception of a P25 system while driving around in a car using pro-668

Status
Not open for further replies.

gluciano80

Hi,

My city has a P25 system that I listen to, but while in driving around in my car the reception is very bad. I do have the better 800mhz antenna from RS which works great at home, but in a car its not good.
I have both simulcasts programmed in the one playlist that I use.

I have tried switching the ATT setting to GA and A but it doesn't seem to work any better or worse. I do have a magnetic antenna that I can put on my car, but I don't like that idea.

Anything else I can do/setting I can change to improve reception while driving around?

rwier

Hi,

My city has a P25 system that I listen to, but while in driving around in my car the reception is very bad. I do have the better 800mhz antenna from RS which works great at home, but in a car its not good.
I have both simulcasts programmed in the one playlist that I use.

I have tried switching the ATT setting to GA and A but it doesn't seem to work any better or worse. I do have a magnetic antenna that I can put on my car, but I don't like that idea.

Anything else I can do/setting I can change to improve reception while driving around?

When mobile, I noticed a big difference when holding a scanner at the top of the steering wheel, as opposed to laying on the seat. Another very noticeable benefit occurred with a roof mount. I suggest one of the following, depending on how your scanner connects to the antenna.

SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and BNC | Scanner Master

SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and SMA | Scanner Master

Either will withstand high speed use, has a felt protective base, and is easily removed for "security" concerns.

Keep the RS antenna on the dash, for pedestrian listening.

gluciano80

When mobile, I noticed a big difference when holding a scanner at the top of the steering wheel, as opposed to laying on the seat. Another very noticeable benefit occurred with a roof mount. I suggest one of the following, depending on how your scanner connects to the antenna.

SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and BNC | Scanner Master

SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and SMA | Scanner Master

Either will withstand high speed use, has a felt protective base, and is easily removed for "security" concerns.

Keep the RS antenna on the dash, for pedestrian listening.
Thanks for the reply. I have a similar antenna I think I bought from rs many years ago. I don't think it has felt on it though.

Is there any reason why reception is so bad while in a car?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Reception of P25 Simulcast systems RS Pro-668

Things that helped my WS1080
1. Attenuate (per site) in Trunked System in I-SCAN/EZSCAN and attenuate the SITE giving you trouble. I don't mean global ATT on the front of the scanner* Just the trouble SITE due to too many signals or simulcast bit error. That's why driving and reception is bad. Too many signals hitting the scanner from different directions at slightly different times. WE discussed this here --->> http://forums.radioreference.com/ar...o-668-not-receiving-rwc-much.html#post2360940

2. Made a separate V-scanner folder with only ONE Trunked SITE based on counties. That way they don't fight with other nearby SITES that bleed in. I never have one long list of SITES for the same Trunked System that are wide open.

3. I use the RS800 mhz antenna but have found that THIS bnc to RCA adapter from Radio Shack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKxp3-2_y8g
actually held the Trunked P25 digital signal really well while driving around town with a bnc window clip *here* --> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/0204.html It worked on Phase II especially well compared to other antennas. Why? cause the length is probably close to the actual size antenna for the Frequency we want to hear. Just like those really small antennas you see on the back of Police cars that are only 3.5 inches long.

4. I also made a separate V-scanner folder called (Local Trunked) where I open the squelch all the way. It has the Trunked System and SITE I want to hear only. I added local analog FIRE frequencies too BUT they all must have PL tones or DCS because if not? you'll hear the squelch noise and it will stay on that. I then open the Squelch completely and drive around that way with either the RS800 or that BNC adapter as antenna. The Squelch won't open until you get a signal, reception is better. There is a squelch tail on the analog calls when they let go of the mic but only as long as your "delay" time you have set for them. OR you can close the squelch if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

rwier

Well, my worst subject is Electricity, and my worst sub-subject is Radio Frequency. I could start making guesses, some of which might even be correct. However, the more I tried to explain, the sillier I would appear, lol.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. I have a similar antenna I think I bought from rs many years ago. I don't think it has felt on it though.

YES! Look up "Faraday cage". You need to get your antenna OUTSIDE the vehicle and mounted to the body of the vehicle to make an effective ground plane. 2nd choice would be a magnetic mount antenna OUTSIDE the vehicle e. g. the one mentioned earlier in this thread.

gluciano80

YES! Look up "Faraday cage". You need to get your antenna OUTSIDE the vehicle and mounted to the body of the vehicle to make an effective ground plane. 2nd choice would be a magnetic mount antenna OUTSIDE the vehicle e. g. the one mentioned earlier in this thread.
Very interesting.

scosgt

I have had and reported the same issues with the PSR-800 series and it's followers. Appears to be very sensitive to RFI from the engine and car electronics.
I have had better luck with a Home Patrol in a mount that keeps it off the dash board, although it still does not work as well as I thought it would at highway speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.