Reception range for 800 MHz trunked system ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_N

I used to live in a city with an 800 MHz trunked public safety system, but now I have moved to a small town about 25 miles away and can't pick it up. I'm using a Uniden 250D with the RS 800 MHz handheld antenna.

FWIW I can pick up another city's public safety system (also about 25 miles away) that's in the 400 MHz VHF band just fine.

Just curious as to if there is any other handheld antenna that would allow me to pick up 800 MHz signals from about 25 miles out?

LEH

Premium Subscriber
800 MHz range

Dave,

Twenty five miles for 800MHz or higher is a bit much. The higher the frequency, the shorter the reception range tends to be. UHF is typically considered "line of sight", but 450 MHz can be picked up for up to fifty or more miles.

Other things help with the range. Height of towers, frequency, power output, type of receiver antenna and location (outdoor direct cable works better than an inside one). If you can put up a small tower or outside antenna above the roof line (say attached to a chimney), you might be able to get your 800 MHz system. With your current setup, don't hold your breath.

Voyager

Re: 800 MHz range

LEH said:
Dave,

Twenty five miles for 800MHz or higher is a bit much. The higher the frequency, the shorter the reception range tends to be. UHF is typically considered "line of sight", but 450 MHz can be picked up for up to fifty or more miles.

Other things help with the range. Height of towers, frequency, power output, type of receiver antenna and location (outdoor direct cable works better than an inside one). If you can put up a small tower or outside antenna above the roof line (say attached to a chimney), you might be able to get your 800 MHz system. With your current setup, don't hold your breath.

I don't know about that. I can almost pick up one 60 miles away with a duck, and can get it with a small yagi. If I do up the hill a little more from my house, I can easily get it on the duck.

Besides, there is no way you can put an exact limit on transmissions on any band - it all depends on your location, the transmitter location, the power used, etc.

I would also argue that 450 does not have twice (or more) the range of 800 MHz. Slightly more, yes, but certainly not twice.

Joe M.

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
Right now, I'm sitting 27 miles (plus or minus; and as the crow flies) from the nearest tower for one of the local systems, and can pick it up just fine (outside -- where I am inside, there is so much electronic noise that I have to find a "sweet spot" to be able to receive anything).

In any case, the ability to receive a signal depends on many factors, including terrain, tx power of the antenna, atmospheric conditions, etc.

joe

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Remember also that the issue of signal strength may not be you but it could be that it's a NPSPAC system and they are not allowed to radiate far outside their jurisdiction. If you are trying to listen to 866 to 869 MHz, that is a NPSPAC system, and this could also be a reason as to why you can't hear a decent signal as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.