Reception/Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

10-7Goodnight

I have a HP with a after market mini magnet antenna. The reception with this has been pretty good. Much better then the stock antenna. I live in Duluth and we just received about 25 inches of heavy wet snow, and the last couple of days the signal has been terrible. I looked up at the antenna farm on top of the hill, and they're just caked with snow and ice. Is this my problem? Have other people had bad reception during bad weather? Thanks....

hrc200x

I'm using a 996xt and I think weather has a huge effect, I'm in minnesota, up the shore further and don't have a clear view of the closest antenna but it is only 2-3 miles away and signal will come and go when weather is bad. Almost seems wind has the worst effect on it. signal strength can show 3-5 bars and no control channel will come in, or good signal and it will lock in on a channel like somone is talking but nothing comes through.

Blackink

I have a HP with a after market mini magnet antenna. The reception with this has been pretty good. Much better then the stock antenna. I live in Duluth and we just received about 25 inches of heavy wet snow, and the last couple of days the signal has been terrible. I looked up at the antenna farm on top of the hill, and they're just caked with snow and ice. Is this my problem? Have other people had bad reception during bad weather? Thanks....

So am I mis-understanding you when you say "I looked up at the antenna farm at the top of the hill" meaning, you can look up at the mountain tops from where you live an see the repeater antennas?
If that was the case I would think your reception should be phenomenal.
Snow or no snow....

I must be mis-understanding you....

10-7Goodnight

.....And my reception was phenomenal until the snow started. On top of the hill in Duluth is where all our antennas are. I live about two miles from them. They're still covered with snow and ice, but my signal is starting to come back slowly. Obviously weather has something to do with it. Thanks...

Blackink

So I wonder if the Police/Fire/EMS have the same reception problems at their stations and/or in their vehicles when the antennas at the top of the mountain get covered in ice and snow, impeding the reception and causing communication problems?!?

Just wondering.....

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I'm about 8 miles from the Ramsey County tower and all through the Wednesday storm and the subsequent cold my reception didn't change. You guys got a lot more snow up there though, perhaps the high snow fall rates attenuated the signal or otherwise made it act differently than normal.

sfd119

.....And my reception was phenomenal until the snow started. On top of the hill in Duluth is where all our antennas are. I live about two miles from them. They're still covered with snow and ice, but my signal is starting to come back slowly. Obviously weather has something to do with it. Thanks...

I would say so. I know the antenna farm gets a lot of snow and ice (so much so they come crashing down; photos). Give it a few days to see if it helps.

I know when it snows down here, my reception can be off a bit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.