• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Recieve further WiFi signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
First of all do any of those cards that claim that they can extend your range and get you further WiFi points around you that you can't normally get with just a WiFi card actually work?

Also, I noticed that my wireless router actually seems to go further than I thought.

I always thought that I could never get my WiFi down at his house, because he's a tad bit down the street and every time I used my laptop at his house, I never got any connection or even spot of my network.

Yet I took my laptop to his upstairs near a hallway window (my router is also in my upstairs) and even though the signal was only one bar, it actually connected to my network and the Internet was actually fairly fast, which I was pretty much amazed.

Though I could only connect to my network if I held my laptop hear his hallway window.

I'm curious if one of those "special" cards would actually work, since his house is so close to getting my connection, at least by the window.'

Or should I just try to extend my connection on my router instead?

I'm a little curious because I never expected my wireless to go that far, I have a friend with the same router and his wireless doesn't seem to go as far as mine does, but he does have an older version of the same router.

Shortwavewave

One Word "antenna"

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2498116&cp=2032061.2032365.2032382&allCount=7&fbn=Type%2FAntennas&f=PAD%2FProduct+Type%2FAntennas&fbc=1&parentPage=family

I bought this for my linksys router(on sale fo 19.99) and get 1 mile out of mine, I can sit at my local coffee shop and use my own internet.

Im dont know if that antenna would work on yours but im sure they make em.
They make better antenna than what I have but it fits my needs.

As for the range extender I cant tell you if they work good or not but is 70 bucks really worth it?

Last edited:

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm

Shortwavewave said:
One Word "antenna"

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2498116&cp=2032061.2032365.2032382&allCount=7&fbn=Type%2FAntennas&f=PAD%2FProduct+Type%2FAntennas&fbc=1&parentPage=family

I bought this for my linksys router(on sale fo 19.99) and get 1 mile out of mine, I can sit at my local coffee shop and use my own internet.

Im dont know if that antenna would work on yours but im sure they make em.
They make better antenna than what I have but it fits my needs.

As for the range extender I cant tell you if they work good or not but is 70 bucks really worth it?
Too bad my router they made with non-removable/non-detachable antennas to save money.

mjthomas59

The linksys wireless G router that i use has excellent range and is accessible well beyond the limits of the old Belkin unit i had. I made the switch when the Belkin crapped out and couldn't believe how the speed and range increased.

I suspect, based on your comment, that you aren't using a linksys router. I only have limited knowledge of the different wireless network routers out there, but i would suggest going to a linksys(they are cheap now that the "N" routers are out) and upgrade the antennas on it. You'll more than likely get coverage for your entire neighborhood, especially if you have it in the upstairs of your house and near a window.

Other options are moving the router near a window in your house if it isn't already, or if your laptop is capable, installing a better antenna on it. My laptop unfortunately is not setup for an external antenna as the wireless card is built inside it.

The best bet though is a better antenna if you can utilize one, if not buy a router that you can.

jb872033

If your computer is compatibe with it you can also look into an "N" rated router...If i am not mistaken a "N" rated router has the farthest throw...

JB

Shortwavewave

Red...I have the WRT54G and I replaced the antennas on it, why cant yours??

Im just trying to help here, there should be boots type covers over where the antenna screws on.

Last edited:

mjthomas59

Assuming you listed the correct model # that you have, according to the linksys website you should be able to upgrade the antennas. In fact on the antenna page it states "works best with wrt54g broadband router"

Not sure what else to say, you might take another look at your router, and also these antennas are available at wal mart so you could atleast go up to the store and look at them before you buy.

shaft

Depends on which version of the WRT54g he has. I have one that allows you to swap the antennas on it and another one that does not. Now, I also have a 350N router that kicks them both to the curb. The throughput on the wireless is outstanding and the gigabit ports on the back are a nice plus.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
I wouldnt want my router to be seen from a mile away. Yikes!

Maybe there would be a market for low-power routers?

I dont really want to get pinged all day by all the 14 year old script kiddies out there all day with a PW sniffer waiting for me to put my security key in again.

I have looked at some parabolic dish network cards though. THey look like little C-band sat dishes! I'd rather broadcast low power and try hard to pick up than just torch the neighborhood with RF and let the WPA sort it out.

Shortwavewave

LOL, well I have a password on my router and for my internet, when Im down the street drinking my cup of joe, I run the net through my desktop, thats 3 passwords right there!

Also its alot herder for 14years olds to break through than you might think Ive tryed it, yes I know shame on me, but who hasnt at least thought of it?

if you have 16bit encryption key its pretty diffcult, even for programmers, im not saying it cant be done, and im not saying my network is impossible to hack but they shure would get fusterated.

Not to go off topic, but you could even try taking or cut the plastic off the antenna and "rig" it yourself how you wanted. Just a thought

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Shortwavewave said:
LOL, well I have a password on my router and for my internet, when Im down the street drinking my cup of joe, I run the net through my desktop, thats 3 passwords right there!

Also its alot herder for 14years olds to break through than you might think Ive tryed it, yes I know shame on me, but who hasnt at least thought of it?

if you have 16bit encryption key its pretty diffcult, even for programmers, im not saying it cant be done, and im not saying my network is impossible to hack but they shure would get fusterated.

Not to go off topic, but you could even try taking or cut the plastic off the antenna and "rig" it yourself how you wanted. Just a thought

Heh, I know that WPA is pretty darn secure, but to be fair, 14 year olds are usually better hackers than adult hackers. I think its the ritalin:lol: :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.