Recommendations for best scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmischlersw

Premium Subscriber
Hello. I have been reading through the forums but figure I will ask my question.

I have been listening to scanners since I was 15 (now 48.) I have been using a Radio Shack Pro 43 but finding it doesn’t catch too much. I am looking to upgrade but not sure best option. I want to pick up the main fire, rescue, police. I do travel a little to the coast so would like to listen there. Areas that I would listen mainly would be Davie, Iredell, Rowan, and Brunswick.

Suggestions for a decent model. I have looked at Home Patrol 1&2. Is there anything not quite as expensive that would be a good option.

Thanks.

Jennifer.

Hello. I have been reading through the forums but figure I will ask my question.

Suggestions for a decent model. I have looked at Home Patrol 1&2. Is there anything not quite as expensive that would be a good option.

Thanks.

Jennifer.

In order to get an up-to-date scanner, I'd recommend either the 996P2 or the 325P2.

Scanner Models

Whistler recently announced that they have abandoned their recent scanner designs, so their future in the scanner market is unknown.

Good luck!

reconrider8

plus its an easier step to get into the bigger radios esp with digital. as always i recommend everyone learning to computer program as well as field program their units which isnt that easy but it is possible

Bob1955

In order to get an up-to-date scanner, I'd recommend either the 996P2 or the 325P2.

Scanner Models

Whistler recently announced that they have abandoned their recent scanner designs, so their future in the scanner market is unknown.

Good luck!
Bearcat Warehouse has discontinued dealing with Whistler so that will confirm that I "think" they will exit out of that market. Uniden America Corporation is the CLEAR choice!

jmischlersw

Premium Subscriber
Bearcat Warehouse has discontinued dealing with Whistler so that will confirm that I "think" they will exit out of that market. Uniden America Corporation is the CLEAR choice!

I am hesitant to pay 500 for a HP 1/2. Is there a recommendation for a Uniden that won’t break the bank?

For those that recommended the Whistler does that cover Phase I or II. I am getting ready to go look at the Wiki for it further as well.

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
I am hesitant to pay 500 for a HP 1/2. Is there a recommendation for a Uniden that won’t break the bank?

For those that recommended the Whistler does that cover Phase I or II. I am getting ready to go look at the Wiki for it further as well.

The ws1040 is phase 1 only. As others have stated there will probably not be any more upgrades or updates for this scanner but for what areas you stated you wanted to monitor this is all you need.

mule1075

Feed Provider

If simulcast is not a issue and you need phase 1 only the Whistler will be fine. I would get a 996p2 myself $349.99 on amazon right now it does phase 2 and with paid upgrades DMR and NXDN. Again of you don't have simulcast issues the above will work for you if you have simulcast issues that is a whole other story.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If simulcast is not a issue and you need phase 1 only the Whistler will be fine. I would get a 996p2 myself $349.99 on amazon right now it does phase 2 and with paid upgrades DMR and NXDN. Again of you don't have simulcast issues the above will work for you if you have simulcast issues that is a whole other story.

There is an paid upgrade for ProVoice as well, although it's not real popular these days.

Soundman

You don't need provice in nc .You need a bcd536hp or a bcd436hp or a home patrol 2 .All you have to do is put in your zip code and you are set . It is easy to update all you have to do is hook it to your computer and you are set . Thy are great scanners . I have all 3 of them .

Sorry I’m late to the party Been busy. WS1040 is awesome. Especially because it’s mobile for when I’m driving. Fun to hear your own car get called a C&R.

I recommend a better antenna than the stock one though.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Well....my recommendations for the best scanner(s) are the two I have here in my house: BCD996P2 and the BCD325P2.
These two are the best scanners around, nothing can beat 'em....
But I may be a bit biased!?!
Every one is missing the request in the OP, they are looking for a scanner that will work but cost less than a Home Patrol. While all of the scanners mentioned here are very good, they are also a lot more expensive. Not everyone has $300+ to spend on a radio.

Soundman

If you are going to use the scanner in your car the best one is the bcd536hp . There is some get thing you could have used on the bcd536hp .Like find the close tower . Type in the state you are in . Make the range how far you would like to scan . But I see you went with the Whistler thy don't have that stuff .That why thy are so cheep

Status
Not open for further replies.