Recommendations for GMRS base antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbeede

Feed Provider
Can anyone recommend a good base antenna for use on GMRS? Maybe even the specs for building a good one if it does't cost a fortune LOL.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
GMRS operates at 462 MHz, the commercial area of the UHF band. Most any commercial UHF base antenna will work. If you're looking for an antenna for your home base, they're cheap enough ( 462 MHz Land Mobile (GMRS) J-Pole Antenna | KB9VBR J-Pole Antennas ) or you could build one without too much trouble. If, on the other hand, you're looking for a high-gain repeater antenna, check with local commercial radio shops for a used professional model (folded dipole, stationmaster, etc.).

drbeede

Feed Provider
GMRS operates at 462 MHz, the commercial area of the UHF band. Most any commercial UHF base antenna will work. If you're looking for an antenna for your home base, they're cheap enough ( 462 MHz Land Mobile (GMRS) J-Pole Antenna | KB9VBR J-Pole Antennas ) or you could build one without too much trouble. If, on the other hand, you're looking for a high-gain repeater antenna, check with local commercial radio shops for a used professional model (folded dipole, stationmaster, etc.).
Thanks for the help I don't plan on setting up a repeater at this time just a normal base antenna that I can use on the GMRS frequencies, I did have a look earlier at the link you provided for the J-Pole, very nice and affordable I'll probably go that route when I setup my base station.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
J-Poles are a good, easy to build option.
Another basic antenna design is the ground plane quarter wave. You can easily build one using a chassis mount antenna connector and some 14 gauge solid copper wire. With some soldering skills, these are pretty fool proof antennas.

drbeede

Feed Provider
J-Poles are a good, easy to build option.
Another basic antenna design is the ground plane quarter wave. You can easily build one using a chassis mount antenna connector and some 14 gauge solid copper wire. With some soldering skills, these are pretty fool proof antennas.
do you know any links to that ground plane design? I would like to take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.