Recommendations

kozak5544

Premium Subscriber
Hello Everyone,

I am seeking some recommendations for a mobile/automotive scanner. I currently have a Uniden BCD996P2, Uniden BC340CRS, Uniden BC278CLT, X3 Uniden BC60XLT-1's, and 1 Baofeng UV-5R that I have programmed as an analog frequency scanner. I use the first 3 mentioned above as my base/home scanners, with the BCD996P2 handling only local & state law enforcement and the BC340CRS handling my local Fire/Rescue/EMS upstairs and the BC278CLT as a backup handling my local Fire/Rescue/EMS in my basement/garage. I would like to have the ability to scan both Law enforcement and Fire/Rescue/EMS in my vehicle. I have used the BC60XLT's, and they work great for Fire/Rescue/EMS, but are not capable of receiving the P25 digital Law enforcement frequencies of my county. I thought about purchasing a second BCD996P2 to install in the vehicle I drive the most, but I was hoping to save a few bucks and have been looking at a refurbished Whistler WS1065. A local business that I know uses this scanner and it seems to receive very well. I was concerned that it doesn't seem to have the ability to receive Phase II P25 transmissions. If anyone out there is currently running a Whistler WS1065, could you please let me know your thoughts on it? Programming isn't an issue for me and I don't care about brand or model, as long as I am able to program it to monitor both analog and P25 digital simultaneously. Thank you everyone in advance for any input!

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
I was hoping to save a few bucks and have been looking at a refurbished Whistler WS1065. A local business that I know uses this scanner and it seems to receive very well. I was concerned that it doesn't seem to have the ability to receive Phase II P25 transmissions. If anyone out there is currently running a Whistler WS1065, could you please let me know your thoughts on it?
Also consider its predecessor, the RadioShack PRO-197. I got one for $75 used but like new. It decodes digital like a champ. Very happy with it

tvengr

Well Known Member
The Radio Shack PRO-197 is the WS1065's older brother. It is essentially the same scanner and uses the same programming software. Both scanners are excellent for conventional frequencies but do not do well on simulcast trunked systems. They do a good job on P25 Phase 1 non-simulcast trunked systems.

kozak5544

Premium Subscriber
tvenger & StoliRaz, thank you both for the great input!! Growing up in the 80's, I always got so excited when my Dad would take me to a Radio Shack. I always was drawn to the RC Cars and Monster Trucks, CB radio's, and Scanner equipment as well as all the gadgets an 80's kid could ever dream of owning. I actually just purchased 2 "vintage" Radio Shack CB radio's off of eBay. They are the exact same model as the one I had in my first truck as a teenager. It is truly a shame what the internet has done to drive out local shops, like Radio Shack's. I do appreciate the convenience of getting to shop from home and the ability to compare prices in a matter of seconds, but I really miss that feeling walking into a fully stocked Radio Shack, particularly around the holidays, with all the awesome things they had to look at. The reason I was concerned about the P25 phase II, was not for current scanning, but I was looking to somewhat "future proof" my equipment. My local Fire/Rescue recently received a government grant to upgrade the radio system they use. But, like you mentioned, I would assume it would be upgraded to a similar system like that used by my local law enforcement. I think I will go ahead and look for used Pro-197 or WS1065 and see how it goes. Question, how are the Pro-197 or WS1065 programmed? Can I still use software like freescan, or are they programmed via the keypad? I am so excited to be getting back into the hobby and really like knowing what is going on in my town. Thank you both again for your valuable input!!!

kozak5544

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had any experience with Grecon brand scanners? I found a Grecon PSR-600 and it looks almost identical to the WS 1065 or Pro-197?

Nasby

Has anyone had any experience with Grecon brand scanners? I found a Grecon PSR-600 and it looks almost identical to the WS 1065 or Pro-197?
The electronics inside are virtually the same. The programming software will work with all 3 units and the Pro652.
The GRE PSR600 is an excellent scanner if you only need phase1 coverage with no simulcast sites (as Tvengr said in his previous post).
Good luck to you!

tvengr

Well Known Member
I found a Grecon PSR-600 and it looks almost identical to the WS 1065 or Pro-197?
The PSR-600, PRO-197, PRO-652, and WS1065 are all essentially the same scanner. The line started with the GRE PSR-600. The PRO-197 was made by GRE for Radio Shack using the same design. When GRE went out of business, Whistler bought the rights and made the WS1065 using the same design. When Whistler took over making the scanner for Radio Shack, the PRO-197 was rebranded the PRO-652. Although all 4 scanners look alike, operate the same, and use the same programming software, the firmware is not interchangeable. You can brick any of the scanners by using the wrong firmware.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Question, how are the Pro-197 or WS1065 programmed? Can I still use software like freescan, or are they programmed via the keypad?
Those scanners cannot be programmed using FreeSCAN. Any of the scanners in my previous post can be programmed by the menu or by using ARC500 or PSREdit500 software. Both have a free trial period to decide which one you like better. I use Butel ARC500 Basic to program my PRO-106 and PRO-197. The PSR-500, PRO-106. PRO-651, and WS1040 handhelds also all use the same programming software as the base/mobile radios.