Red Lights and Sirens for Volunteers

Status
Not open for further replies.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Im a little tired of hearing about who got different color fire trucks or Who wants a red and white light
with a siren. Why not take some tests for Police and Fire Depts and you can have all the lights and
sirens you want. And this is from a guy that spent 7 yrs as a vol and 25 yrs as career. I thought
this forum was about radios?

George hahahah yeah its supposed to be but i think it got off topic. Lol

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
I also agree, but there is a section of RR which is the Radio Reference Tavern which is apparently for anything you can think of. This post should be there. Now for the topic as a former police officer, volunteer firefighter and fire police officer, I have had training in responding to emergencies but have seen so many volunteers driving like madmen that them having red lights and sirens scares me.

Rred

I think CT is like NY, in that any changes in the motor vehicle code go into effect once per year, usually January 1st, although some states do a second round of laws ~June 1st. So a change "soon" wouldn't be happening unless it has already passed the legislature and is already as published as going to go into effect.

On pulling over for xmas lights in NY...that's all in the motor vehicle code. NYS has always been extremely generous in making that entire book available CHEAP at any DMV location. Used to be about $3, probably $8-10 now, still a bargain. If it ain't in the book, the judge won't care what the law is. If someone says there's a law...either they can cite the chapter and verse of the motor vehicle code, or they're mistaken.

Other than rural Fire/EMS departments...very few agencies want to give unvetted herds of cats any pretty lights. They've simply seen too much abuse over the years.

SVFC462

Feed Provider
Rick,

Fire chiefs can not legally run red and blue. The permit is only for red or red/white lights and a siren. I do know some that run red and blue but they are doing it illegally

... you can run any color light ONLY IF you have a permit to do so. If you have red/white you can run those colors, if you have a blue as well ... you can run blue, and if you have an amber light permit ... you can run all of those colors IF YOU HAVE A PHYSICAL PERMIT IN HAND.

Connecticut volunteer firefighters are only allowed to use blue lights with a permit a license plate that the fire department gives you some volunteers are allowed to use red and blue lights like some fire chiefs all up to what the town wants I have a uncle who lives in Tennessee and he is allowed to run with red and blue lights and sirens on his vehicle

... you need the physical paper permit in hand to be able to operate any color. refer to my comments above concerning the required permit per color for display in a personal vehicle. Through the State of CT, a fire department does not give you a license place, they only give you a membership plate. for the fire department license plates through the State of CT .. the fire chief of the department you are affiliated with has to sign a special form for that member to allow DMV to have the Firefighter plates manufactured.

N1GTL

Database Admin
Connecticut General Statute 14-80.... No sirens

You need a paper permit for lights that must be carried with your registration

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
I've been out of the system for years however here is what I remember and I will also be putting up a link to the state statutes that cover emergency lighting.

Red/White - Fire and Ambulance (must also have one rear facing amber)
Red/White - Fire Chief
Green - Vol EMS
Blue - Vol FD
Amber - Maintenance Vehicles - tow truck plows, etc.
Red and Blue was reserved for Law Enforcement

I am sure that this had to change by now but back in the day, Federal LE used to be Blue as well. I am sure that had to be updated to Red/Blue also

Blue light and Green light permits are issued by the chief of a department to membership although the chief can designate someone under him/her to issue but while reported to DMV, DMV does not issue these

DMV does issue the Red/White and Red/White with siren.

It used to be legal to have red lights as long as they faced the rear however because of problems way back when that was stopped as well.

Here's the link to the actual DMV Regs: DMV: Flashing Light Permits

These are the CT General Statutes (Laws) that apply as well -

Sec 14-80f - Mechanical Equipment (sirens)
Sec 14-96p - Special restrictions on lamps. Flashing Lights.
Sec 14-96q - Flashing or revolving lights. Authorized use of blue or green lights.
Sec 14-283 - Rights of Emergency Vehicles.

Hope this helps.

Also, as far as responding with lights in a POV, a lot of insurance companies will not cover you if you are involved in an accident responding to a call. Some will even cancel your policy. I also called California Casualty which is an insurance company that pretty much caters to public safety workers. They told me that their policy regarding vehicles and emergency lighting (for Connecticut) is you are not to respond using a personal vehicle they will not cover you. They do have some kind of rider that they offer but it is separate from your policy. They outright advised that if you are involved in an accident responding to a call in your personal vehicle they will not cover you no matter who's fault the accident was. The woman also said some companies consider that business use of a personal vehicle and that can void your policy as well.
Also, the use of Blue and Green lights in Connecticut DO NOT give you any special priveledges. They are merely "courtesy lights". People "may" grant you the right of way but they do not have to. Also, you can not blow through traffic lights or stop signs. In reality, even full blown emergency vehicles are supposed to come to a stop and then proceed through a red light or a stop sign. Full blown emergency vehicles running code are also required to exercise "due regard" when responding. Blow through a light even running RLS without slowing down or looking out for other vehicles and you are liable as well as whatever service you are driving for.

I have been "out of the business" per say since 2002, however, I don't think things have changed that much over the years. There are also problems with abuse of the lights and impersonation issues as well. To be honest and anyone who has been in any branch of public safety will advise you that even responding to a call RLS, you may cut a few minutes but you really don't cut all that much time off either.
It also adds wear and tear to the vehicle and places the operator and others in the way for possible injury. Do I think that we should respond to a call RLS if need be? Yes but there are a lot of studies out there that show the good and bad effects. I fully believe vehicles should have emergency lighting for on scene thats for sure. It tells the public to move over and protects you but once again, anyone who has been in the field will tell you that the general public doesn't excercise enough caution or pay attention around emergency vehicles period.

Sorry for the long winded info

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Fire apparatus can run any color with the exception of yellow facing forward and clear to the rear.

blockhead1

What CGS states that fire apparatus are allowed "any color".
Blue are reserved for "volunteer firefighters", and green is for "volunteer EMS" POV's.
I'm pretty sure that the Statues define red and white for Fire Apparatus/Fire Chiefs...etc., no reference to blue or green??
I have not found where blue on Fire Apparatus is allowed, at least by State Statues.

zuzuski

Fire apparatus can run any color with the exception of yellow facing forward and clear to the rear.

Unless you are listening to NFPA.......
Amber to the rear - White/Clear disabled wen parked...

Has anyone seen the new CSP Cruisers with the WHITE LED's in the push bar - BLINDING when stopped..... I do like the slower pattern / more light when parked mode.....

APX7500X2

... you can run any color light ONLY IF you have a permit to do so. If you have red/white you can run those colors, if you have a blue as well ... you can run blue, and if you have an amber light permit ... you can run all of those colors IF YOU HAVE A PHYSICAL PERMIT IN HAND.

So completely wrong, but not worth the time

Spec

I may have missed something regarding the relevance to RADIO with exception of light traveling at the approximate same speed... so maybe this should move to the TAVERN...just saying.

eclipse175

Govt vehicles are exempt and may run any color light combination. realistically only a volunteer fire chief officer could potentially hold both a blue light and red/white siren permit for their personal vehicle.
Read the statutes. It's designed to be one or the other. Move topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.