? Regarding Arkansas Highway Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
I'm trying to get a better understanding of the Ark Hwy Police, which I believe handle the weight enforcement and truck regulations in the state.

Some old information I have indicates there are 5 AHP districts. Can anyone tell me where the district 4 offices are located ?

When these officers request records checks over-the-air, are they communicating with a dispatcher on the district level, or a central dispatch in Little Rock ?

I had a tentative logging of an AHP repeater (151.010 MHz / 131.8 Hz PL), being rebroadcast through the repeater of an EMS agency on the SC / Ga border, last Saturday during the midday.

Any help or information is appreciated.

Jeff Multer
Fort Mill, S.C.
(near Charlotte, N.C.)

foster_006

I'm not exactly sure what the highway police cover, but i've seen them on routine traffic stops many times. I have also seen them at weigh stations as well as drug busts. So I think they serve as a backup to Arkansas State Police as well as serving the weigh stations and truck regulations task.

As to dispatching, it's on a district...or troop level.

Hope this helps!

fireEmt5281

Ar. Hiway Police

Jeff,

The communications I have observed have all been through Little Rock.

The officer will call "Little Rock, (car #). Mobile callsign-KA3692.

They have full police powers, it would seem, as the previous poster noted, they stop speeders, assist at accident scenes, assist local agencies, etc.

Don

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Thanks for your comments, "foster" and Don.

The officers heard the other afternoon were all working "Little Rock" - as you mentioned, Don. Even when there were signal fades, Little Rock captures your attention when you are a couple of states away.

The AHP channels and tones are mentioned in the now-old Monitor America reference, but the book associates 151.010 / 131.8 with just one of the five districts they had at the time. Now I know that all five channels mentioned can be associated with "Little Rock" as the dispatch.

Thanks, again.

me311

Highway Police

Arkansas Highway Police are allowed to do speed enforcement,
but they are discouraged from doing so. Many of the judges
throughout northern AR will toss their tickets if they make it into
court, citing the experience and training levels as being
deficient.

They are normally talking to Little Rock, or to the local county
sheriffs department.

bill71

Premium Subscriber
150.995/P.L. 123.0-Northwest Arkansas. 154.665 is the input w/various input tones depending on which tower they use:Cave Springs, Bentonville, Hindsville, etc. You can hear them tell Little Rock what tower they're on.
I've never heard of Highway Police tickets thrown out of court, they have broad power across the state. You well also see them on I-540 around West Fork working hand-in-hand with Arkansas State Police. ASP will never be seen weighing a truck on the side of the road, they don't have scales in their trunk like AHP.
Knowledge gained when working for Washington and Benton County Sheriffs Office.

Bill H.

Elwood

There is a long time pseudo rivalry between the AHP and the ASP. The Arkansas Highway Police are funded through the State Department of Transportation. They are, however, fully certified law enforcement officers of the state of Arkansas, and are therefore an equal level entity with the State Police. Although their "intended" jurisdiction are strictly state highways and interstates, they have full police powers anywhere in the state, just as the Troopers of ASP do. They have been through the same police academy as your local cops, sheriffs deputies, and state troopers, so their training levels are the same. Experience levels are a different matter tho, as they are mostly a ticket writing club. They WILL stop motorists other than 18 wheelers, and their tickets are just as damaging to your driving record as any other police officers are. But they will not work accidents or investigate crimes like the State Police do.

How there system works is a state wide repeater system in the 150-159 mHz band that are connected together through "tone-up" technology. They will tone up a particular repeater using PL and audible tones and call the dispatch center in Little Rock, usually naming the repeater site they are using when they do. They call Little Rock when they need vehicle or driver information. Anything else, they will run through sub stations located throughout the state or some local police department.

I don't understand why, when the State Police has a fully modern 800mHz trunked system with tons of bells and whistles, the Highway Police continue to use an "antiquated" system on 150mHz like they do. I would have expected the AHP to have gotten their own fleet assignment on the ASP system. But I guess this shows that the rivalry still exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.