Regency HX1000 Battery Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
I recently got an HX1000 on eBay. It was listed as-is which kept the price down but it works. It came with the original Regency battery pack (sealed, thankfully) but I immediately noticed signs of a battery acid leak so I didn't chance putting them in the scanner. Is there anywhere you can still get battery packs for these scanners?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
HX1000

That was my first programmable scanner. If I remember correctly, the pack was 8 AA nicads in series. Any place that rebuilds batteries should be able to build one. There are also web sites that have packs available. I built my own when the original died, but the batteries then had soldier tabs and were not easy to work with.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
I recently got an HX1000 on eBay. It was listed as-is which kept the price down but it works. It came with the original Regency battery pack (sealed, thankfully) but I immediately noticed signs of a battery acid leak so I didn't chance putting them in the scanner. Is there anywhere you can still get battery packs for these scanners?

Jeez. If not on eBay, I would imagine you'd have to find a collector that has one to spare. Being that the HX-1000 is a thirty-plus year old radio (I had the HX-1500 in the mid 1980's), that is not likely.

If you are good with building things, you may be able to rig up an AA cell holder on your own. I would first go online to parts suppliers like Mouser to see what they have.

http://www.mouser.com/m_Home.aspx

Good luck! Keep us posted.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Regency HX1000

I had this scanner in the mid to late 1980s. Those battery packs were a pain. I remember this had a lot of "birdies" too. My main nearby frequency was 155.19 and it had a huge birdie in that frequency. Had to use 155.1950 instead and could still hear it. Other things made this a fun scanner too. Certain frequency ranges back then kept me laughing and entertained. Got the Regency M100 after that.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Radio Reference is THE place to go for questions in our hobby, IMHO. This is the perfect example!

reedeb

Had the HX 1200 back in the 80's was a very good scanner. till the night I dropped it and it died. :( I then went on to Radio Shack scanners my last one was back in 2000. Haven't had the money since then. :(

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
I liked my HX-1500, but it was really prone to intermod. I had to devise an attenuator to fit between the antenna and the BNC connector on the radio.

I sold it for a Uniden BC-205XLT.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Had the HX 1200 back in the 80's was a very good scanner. till the night I dropped it and it died. :( I then went on to Radio Shack scanners my last one was back in 2000. Haven't had the money since then. :(

I had the HX-1500. It was built like a tank, but very prone to intermod.

I sold it and bought a Uniden BC-205XLT. Also prone to intermod!!

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber

I feel like lots of older scanners were prone to intermod, but were also more sensitive, especially on VHF.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
I feel like lots of older scanners were prone to intermod, but were also more sensitive, especially on VHF.

Yes, I agree. Although, my Rat Shack Pro-2005 is pretty good with intermod rejection compared to the more recent Uniden BC-780 I have.

For the portables I rigged an attenuator out of a 6db in line attenuator that had "RF" threaded connectors on each end and I attached RF-BNC adaptors. It worked pretty well!

I still have it all these years later!

c94fe5dcc1beb057812759c96225ea6b.jpg

n1das

I rebuilt my own HX1000 battery packs

I did that too back in the day. The pack consisted of 8 NiCd AA cells, rated 500mAh capcity. I loved my HX1000 even with its little quirks and I got LOTS of use out of it. I later replaced the HX1000 with the short lived HX1200 which turned out to be a POS due to an internal wandering birdie problem on VHF which they were famous for. I never owned an HX1500 because I had moved on to a RadioShack Pro-32 handheld.

I recall the battery charger circuit in the HX1000 would fully charge the pack in about 6 hours. It was a simple "dumb" charging circuit that didn't cut the charger off when the pack was fully charged. At that charge rate you could easily cook a battery pack by leaving the charger connected all the time. The fast charge time was convenient but you had to be careful in order to maximize the life of the pack. Now with NiMH AA cells having around 2300maH, the fast charge rate for the original 500mAh NiCd pack approximates the standard "slow" 14-16 hour rate for a 2300 mAh NiMH pack. I used to get 10-12 hours of operation out of my HX1000 and that was with the 500mAh NiCd pack. It should go way longer if you rebuild the pack using 2300mAh NiMH cells and the scanner will charge it just fine.

Good luck.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Pigtail

I once asked Batteries Plus to construct a battery pack for one of my Unidens. As long as you have an appropriate pigtail, they can construct the pack.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
That's why I liked and want to keep my HX1000. I haven't found anything better intermod wise.
I also have a Pro 2004,,but the intermod performance is worse.
It also suffers from FM swamping the RR frequencies (160-162) that I had to add a FM trap to cure that problem.

Question;
Can a Ni-M pack be substituted for a Ni-Cad?

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
That's why I liked and want to keep my HX1000. I haven't found anything better intermod wise.
I also have a Pro 2004,,but the intermod performance is worse.
It also suffers from FM swamping the RR frequencies (160-162) that I had to add a FM trap to cure that problem.

Question;
Can a Ni-M pack be substituted for a Ni-Cad?

Not sure about swapping battery packs, but recently I bought another battery pack for my HX1000 on eBay. It is marketed for the identical HX1200 (same as HX1000 but added air band). I'd link it, but I just checked, and they're currently sold out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.