SDS100/SDS200: Registering a used scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomDavisSr

Premium Subscriber
Hello. I am expecting the delivery of a pre-owned SDS-100 in a few days and I was wondering if I am supposed to register it on the Uniden website? Would this pose a problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hello. I am expecting the delivery of a pre-owned SDS-100 in a few days and I was wondering if I am supposed to register it on the Uniden website? Would this pose a problem?

You should do that and it causes no problems. You will need to in order to gain access to the ProVoice, DMR, and NXDN upgrades should you want them.

mule1075

Feed Provider

Make sure the previous owner removes his registration if he registered it.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Make sure the previous owner removes his registration if he registered it.

Is that necessary? I thought Paul Opitz said all you have to do is register it in your name and it automatically negates the previous owner's registration.

TomDavisSr

Premium Subscriber
Is that necessary? I thought Paul Opitz said all you have to do is register it in your name and it automatically negates the previous owner's registration.
I hope that is the case. The person I bought the scanner from himself bought it used, so I don't know who it is registered to. It has the DMR and NXDN upgrades already. Once I have the scanner in hand I can ask the seller if need be.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I hope that is the case. The person I bought the scanner from himself bought it used, so I don't know who it is registered to. It has the DMR and NXDN upgrades already. Once I have the scanner in hand I can ask the seller if need be.

You need to get the DMR and NXDN Keys from the seller, you may need them in the future. I have had to reenter mine after Uniden did a major repair.

TomDavisSr

Premium Subscriber
You need to get the DMR and NXDN Keys from the seller, you may need them in the future. I have had to reenter mine after Uniden did a major repair.

That might not be possible as it essentially being a third- hand scanner. I will try. Scanner is "Out for delivery"

RF23

Premium Subscriber

I think I remember something like that too, but how is Uniden going to deal with people who post their entire serial number and later posts something that someone does not like or if someone has their scanner stolen? The bad actor can change the registration to themselves or a made up name just to create problems.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
The only purpose of registration is to purchase the upgrade keys and the upgrade keys are generally permanent. There really isn't any problems from transferring scanners and registration.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The only purpose of registration is to purchase the upgrade keys and the upgrade keys are generally permanent. There really isn't any problems from transferring scanners and registration.
While this is correct, there is one cautionary point to remember.

Since the OP purchased the scanner (used), from someone else who also purchased it used, the OP does not have access to the key information for whatever upgrades have been done. In the (hopefully) unlikely event that, at some time, the scanner has to be sent in for repair, be sure to include a short statement that states which upgrades were done, and specify that, as it was purchased used, you do not have any record of the keys that were applied. If you can actually get a copy of the keys that have been purchased and applied, then no statement is needed. But if you cannot, a short note included when the scanner is sent for repair will flag it to Uniden to either generate new keys & enter them, or provide that information when the scanner is returned. That's in case the main PC board is replaced during repair.

Those of us that sent in a 436HP for the display and clock issues had to re-enter the keys when the scanner was returned, a that particular repair included replacing the main circuit board. As I was the original owner of mine, and had registered the scanner & purchased the keys, it was a simple matter to simply enter them again.

kruser

Premium Subscriber

If a new owner of a used models re-registers the radio in their name and that scanner did have the extra modes purchased, will the registration (mode unlock) keys populate on the new owners My Scanners page provided they entered the correct serial number and ESN checksum??

I'm not sure I've seen this question posted before and if it was, I apologize as I missed any answer.
If the keys are not shown on the new owners My Scanners page, how can the new owner determine what the keys are in case they do need to send it in and it gets a cloned logic board installed but the keys are not re-entered by the service department??

And you are correct in that the keys are "generally" permanent. The case where a radio is sent in for say an issue where the logic board is replaced will usually have that work done where they write the same serial and ESN checksum to the new board so the original keys still work but I've never seen a case where the service department re-enters any keys. The original owner must always look up the purchased keys and enter them in again to unlock the extra paid modes. So yes, generally permanent keys can indeed get wiped out!
That would be my concern in this case with re-registering any of the models with paid mode upgrades available that had already been purchased by any previous owners.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If a new owner of a used models re-registers the radio in their name and that scanner did have the extra modes purchased, will the registration (mode unlock) keys populate on the new owners My Scanners page provided they entered the correct serial number and ESN checksum??

I'm not sure I've seen this question posted before and if it was, I apologize as I missed any answer.
If the keys are not shown on the new owners My Scanners page, how can the new owner determine what the keys are in case they do need to send it in and it gets a cloned logic board installed but the keys are not re-entered by the service department??

And you are correct in that the keys are "generally" permanent. The case where a radio is sent in for say an issue where the logic board is replaced will usually have that work done where they write the same serial and ESN checksum to the new board so the original keys still work but I've never seen a case where the service department re-enters any keys. The original owner must always look up the purchased keys and enter them in again to unlock the extra paid modes. So yes, generally permanent keys can indeed get wiped out!
That would be my concern in this case with re-registering any of the models with paid mode upgrades available that had already been purchased by any previous owners.
Offhand, I don't recall the thread his comment was in, but UPMan addressed this at least once before. That if a scanner, sent in for repair, got a board replacement, but the person that sent it in did not have the keys (in other words, was not the original purchaser), that the repair department could contact him to generate new keys for that scanner. That's why I suggested including a note. Of course, if the main board was not replaced, then keys would not need to be re-entered. But if that was the case (board replacement), then a 'heads up' note would be a prudent precaution.

My understanding is that if the scanner is re-registered, that does not pull up any previous upgrade purchases. If that is incorrect, then hopefully Uniden Support or UPMan (if he has time to see it before his upcoming hospital stay) will provide corrected information.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I would hope Uniden would keep a database showing what scanner & SN have registered upgrades. I don't think existing keys can be deleted or reentered under any circumstances. If your repair requires a replacement main board I think Uniden would issue new keys for that board. The keys are registered to the scanner's main board.

TomDavisSr

Premium Subscriber
OK, I was able to register the pre-owned scanner and indeed the keys were not listed next to the registered serial number.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
OK, I was able to register the pre-owned scanner and indeed the keys were not listed next to the registered serial number.

Did you check to see if any of the upgrades were actually installed? Regardless why do you need the keys, once entered they're there to stay.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
Offhand, I don't recall the thread his comment was in, but UPMan addressed this at least once before. That if a scanner, sent in for repair, got a board replacement, but the person that sent it in did not have the keys (in other words, was not the original purchaser), that the repair department could contact him to generate new keys for that scanner. That's why I suggested including a note. Of course, if the main board was not replaced, then keys would not need to be re-entered. But if that was the case (board replacement), then a 'heads up' note would be a prudent precaution.

My understanding is that if the scanner is re-registered, that does not pull up any previous upgrade purchases. If that is incorrect, then hopefully Uniden Support or UPMan (if he has time to see it before his upcoming hospital stay) will provide corrected information.
This is correct. Though the repair department may not automatically check if the keys are activated beforehand, so it is a good idea to attach a note saying what keys are unlocked to circumvent having to contact the department after you get your unit back.

and no, registering a scanner with previously unlocked keys will not re-populate the key's to the new account. Theonly time it would really matter is if there is a board replacement, but then it matters quite a bit and that's why you should be let the repair department know.

Status
Not open for further replies.