• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

remote gmrs repeater antenna

NevadaGMRS

Hey there! Amateur general who's been successfully using a magmount antenna on a fencepost for my family on the GMRS band. There's a hill nearby, that we own, but it's a long hike to get up there. About two hours and just loose scree and garbage. I feel comfortable with the repeater, battery, solar panel, and wiring. But the antenna is what I don't really know. There's no height restrictions, but it is ridiculously windy (100mph+ in the winter isn't unknown, usually 75mph storms) and I'd really like to not have to hike back up for a few years.

Any suggestions on something multi-year durable that would fit the role here?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Folded dipoles are pretty durable, if you get a good one. I've got a few UHF repeaters at high sites in a remote location. It's not unheard of to get 100+mph winds at these sites. Haven't lost one yet. I'm running Telewave ANT-450's

prcguy

What's the elevation above sea level and the elevation above average terrain? Do you get ice sticking to things in the winter? You might get by with a lower end commercial antenna like a PETEL FG4505 (5dBd) or FG4507 (7dBd) which should take up to 100mph winds with no icing. If you need something more rugged then the Telewave recommended by mmckenna or a Commscope DB-404 (3.8dBd) or DB-408 (6dBd).

NevadaGMRS

What's the elevation above sea level and the elevation above average terrain? Do you get ice sticking to things in the winter? You might get by with a lower end commercial antenna like a PETEL FG4505 (5dBd) or FG4507 (7dBd) which should take up to 100mph winds with no icing. If you need something more rugged then the Telewave recommended by mmckenna or a Commscope DB-404 (3.8dBd) or DB-408 (6dBd).
Hey thanks! That FG4505 looks like it could be in my budget and would be up for the challenge. Not too much icing here, it's in the Nevada mountains so the air is pretty bone dry. When it snows though it comes in feet, not inches!

Edit: and it's about 9k feet elevation, I'd ballpark 800-1000 feet above the sorrounding terrain depending on where you're measuring from.

NevadaGMRS

Folded dipoles are pretty durable, if you get a good one. I've got a few UHF repeaters at high sites in a remote location. It's not unheard of to get 100+mph winds at these sites. Haven't lost one yet. I'm running Telewave ANT-450's
Hey thanks! Do you have any other pro-tips about remote UHF repeaters? My setup is pretty simple. 20AH battery, simple MPPT charger, 50 watt panel, Retevis R97 repeater. I use RG213 cables.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've got 3 sites I "inherited" at work.
Each site is fully solar powered with about 100ah of battery, sometimes more depending on the location. The solar is also powering network links for data as well as linking the repeaters together. Make sure your panels and batteries are sized to run the system through the winter if you are going to rely on it. Snow on the panels or really stormy days will mean you won't get much charging going on. Those stormy days may be when people want to use the radio more.
Look closely at the battery type, consider what will work in low temperatures. Battery designs impact how well they work depending on the ambient temperature. If you are expecting long cold nights, then you may want to look at batteries that will perform better in lower temperatures. Painting the cabinet a dark color might help keep it warm. Add a temperature controlled fan for the hot summer months.

Keep your RF power low. Save the energy. Use a higher gain antenna to make up for it. The flatpack duplexers in those repeaters are not stellar performers, but they'll work well enough for GMRS at a low/no noise site.

Make sure you waterproof all your coaxial connectors really well. Consider using Heliax for your antenna. I used 3/8" Superflex for ours since it's no more than about 15 feet from the repeater cabinet to the antenna.

100MPH winds, make sure you anchor it down really well. Consider ground rods if you can sink them in on site.

prcguy

Hey thanks! That FG4505 looks like it could be in my budget and would be up for the challenge. Not too much icing here, it's in the Nevada mountains so the air is pretty bone dry. When it snows though it comes in feet, not inches!

Edit: and it's about 9k feet elevation, I'd ballpark 800-1000 feet above the sorrounding terrain depending on where you're measuring from.
Are you far from Minden?

prcguy

Agree on the 408 but most don't like the price point.
I buy various DB products antennas like the 404, 408 and 413 used for good prices here and there and a friend surprised me and dropped off a mint 450-470 DB-408 for free not long ago. This year at Dayton I picked up a perfect DB-404 for $75 and that is going up this week for a mountain cabin repeater install. The only reason I'm using a 404 there is for the smaller footprint to keep the USFS from complaining. There are good deals on used antennas out there, you just have to search around.