• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Remote Reboot Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Database Admin
I am in the market to purchase a remote reboot device. I have a scanner and computer at a remote location and sometimes the PC tanks and I need to reboot it.

What product do you all recommend to remotely reboot a device? I found something called iBoot however the price is holding me back. Is there anything cheaper than 200 dollars out there? If not, I guess it's time to save some $$$

Thanks for any help.

You can do a re-boot with a remote service such as www.logmein.com . You can access the remote computer from anywhere, and if need be, you can re-boot it. I have the service and use it to check on my scanner-feed computer (which doubles as my weather station). Best of all, the basic service is free.

pfish

Premium Subscriber
firescannerbob said:
You can do a re-boot with a remote service such as www.logmein.com . You can access the remote computer from anywhere, and if need be, you can re-boot it. I have the service and use it to check on my scanner-feed computer (which doubles as my weather station). Best of all, the basic service is free.
That wouldn't help if the machine wasn't accessible (crashed). Also, instead of using a web-based program such as LogMeIn, I'd recommend using a VNC-style method such as TightVNC (www.tightvnc.com). There's no 3rd party there, its direct between IP<->IP.

poltergeisty

Deep Thinker
brandon said:
I am in the market to purchase a remote reboot device. I have a scanner and computer at a remote location and sometimes the PC tanks and I need to reboot it.

What product do you all recommend to remotely reboot a device? I found something called iBoot however the price is holding me back. Is there anything cheaper than 200 dollars out there? If not, I guess it's time to save some $$$

Thanks for any help.

Would it be cheaper to fix the PC? Or is this just a slow old tank? What kind of PC do you have? It could be loaded with all kinds of spyware and crap. Do you use a firewall? PSU in good shape? Hows the RAM looking? Defrag lately? Scan disk could help. I reformat my hard drives often and reinstall the OSs. Perhaps you could benefit from a separate partition for the scanner connection.

kd7rto

brandon said:

Thanks for any help.
Linux would be much more reliable than Windows for long term, unattended operation. First thing, though, you should investigate whether the lockup problem might be hardware related.

Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
n6orz said:
The best fix would be to dump Windows, and get Linux.

OK, I think Linux has it's place, just as a Mac does, but it's not for everyone. if the OP has Windows and is able to use it, then maybe he should use it. the learning curve for Linux is a little bit more than Windows.

Yes, I would agree with fixing the PC first.

kd7rto

mike_s104 said:
OK, I think Linux has it's place, just as a Mac does, but it's not for everyone. if the OP has Windows and is able to use it, then maybe he should use it. the learning curve for Linux is a little bit more than Windows.

Yes, I would agree with fixing the PC first.
I'm in the process of setting up a remote receiver to be placed 750 miles away, and I consider Windows too unreliable to use in such an application.

rayveedub

wow awesome question. i never though of this before myself. my prob is very similiar but i need to be able to log into the remote computer using the control alt delete. are any of these programs able to log you in as well as reboot?

rayveedub said:
wow awesome question. i never though of this before myself. my prob is very similiar but i need to be able to log into the remote computer using the control alt delete. are any of these programs able to log you in as well as reboot?
If you are running windows Remote Desktop comes on xp and allows that. I wrote a very small executable to reboot my machine. I have found the need to reboot mine remotely as well. But you need to be able to login to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.