Remote Scanner background noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyfromhill

Premium Subscriber
I have Proscan configured to record and be a remote scanner over IP server for a BCT15X. However, when I connect with the proscan client software, I get an continuous annoying background noise (see attachment). I've tried shielded aux cables and removing the stereo splitter I'm using but neither thing has made a difference. Is there some setting I'm missing? The recordings on the server PC do not have this annoying noise.

Attachments

• Noise.zip
    192.2 KB · Views: 24

n0nhp

Try taking the audio from the record output instead of the speaker output.
You will have to set the record flag on each channel you want to stream but using the pre-amp output instead of the amplified output should if it is like some of the older Uniden scanners mute the audio between transmissions.
I had to do that for the three scanners I am using to stream and it cut down the noise considerably.
An oddity though I have to leave the scanner audio to the speakers up just a little or I get distorted audio out of the record output. I suppose it needs the load of the audio amp just being there.

Bruce

billyfromhill

Premium Subscriber
So I am using the green REC OUT jack on the back of the scanner. However, I have it set to output all channels. I will try just tagging the one channel I am recording/streaming.

EDIT: Did not change anything.

n0nhp

Hmm, ok, It helped on mine.
It sounds to me that the audio mute that Uniden is using is not completely muting so you are getting the white noise between transmissions. You could try an external sound gate (VOX), the problem is the delay in turning on will often lose the first syllable of the message (I have a cheap blue-tooth head set that I tried to use to listen to audio books on my phone that does this and is very annoying).
Try to pad the audio down to the point the recording amp doesn't pick it up.
If you are really into hacking, most of the audio chips have an actual mute line on them that can be attached to the squelch line to mute the noise. It is usually ignored because the level is too low to be heard over the speaker and the couple of cents to route the signal and decouple it add up during manufacture. I had to modify some early BK two-way radios that the officer didn't like the chuffing while it scanned.
One of those annoyances that is tough to remedy.

Bruce

billyfromhill

Premium Subscriber
Hmm, ok, It helped on mine.
It sounds to me that the audio mute that Uniden is using is not completely muting so you are getting the white noise between transmissions. You could try an external sound gate (VOX), the problem is the delay in turning on will often lose the first syllable of the message (I have a cheap blue-tooth head set that I tried to use to listen to audio books on my phone that does this and is very annoying).
Try to pad the audio down to the point the recording amp doesn't pick it up.
If you are really into hacking, most of the audio chips have an actual mute line on them that can be attached to the squelch line to mute the noise. It is usually ignored because the level is too low to be heard over the speaker and the couple of cents to route the signal and decouple it add up during manufacture. I had to modify some early BK two-way radios that the officer didn't like the chuffing while it scanned.
One of those annoyances that is tough to remedy.

Bruce

So I've completely changed the PC I'm using to record and tried several different models of scanner (BCT15X and BCD996P2) but the background noise still persists.

Any other suggestions?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
So I've completely changed the PC I'm using to record and tried several different models of scanner (BCT15X and BCD996P2) but the background noise still persists.

Any other suggestions?

I would insure the RSOIP Client Playback audio levels are in the middle position for 0 dB gain. Also try turning down the Mic Input level in the Win Mixer and turn up the scanner volume.

Last edited:

billyfromhill

Premium Subscriber
I would insure the RSOIP Client Playback audio levels are in the middle position for 0 dB gain. Also try turning down the Mic Input level in the Win Mixer and turn up the scanner volume.

So upon further investigation the noise also appears when I'm recording, but you can't really notice it unless there is carrier with no voice, so it's definitely an issue on the server side. I will try playing with my audio levels in the mixer and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.