Removing TV antenna and mounting discone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening,

I am new to mounting antennas to anything higher than pole that I had constructed in my back yard. I recently moved into a house that has an old tower with a TV antenna mounted to the top. I would like to get the old antenna down and mount my Diamond D-130J to the top. It is to high to climb. Does anyone know of a service that still installs antennas or maybe a tree service that could lift me up there in a bucket truck?

I am located in Western Michigan.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• phpWUscI7PM.jpg
    phpWUscI7PM.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 3,115
  • phpl13QN1PM.jpg
    phpl13QN1PM.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,601
  • php29Y9UVPM.jpg
    php29Y9UVPM.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 3,822

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Not sure I'd trust climbing it, the cross supports don't look too sturdy. Home depot rents lifts. I believe it was $108 for a half day last time I did it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, rent a bucket lift and do it yourself.
I wouldn't climb an unknown tower, and I wouldn't expect someone else to do it.

While you are doing all this, it would be a really good idea to install new coaxial cable. No telling how long the existing stuff has been up there and how much water it has in it. While you are paying for the bucket lift you might as well. It'll save you having to do it all over again.

k9rzz

Depending on your budget, you might just drop it, scrap it, and put up a tilt over of some sort. Then you can add, change, or do maintenance to your antenna much easier.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will go with the bucket truck rental and some quality coax. Based on the height of the tower and run to the basement (up to 125') should I use lMR-400 or would that be a bot over kill.

Ken

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I use LMR400 for runs from my 29' tower (about 40 feet overall) so I say there's no such thing as overkill. :)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will go with the bucket truck rental and some quality coax. Based on the height of the tower and run to the basement (up to 125') should I use lMR-400 or would that be a bot over kill.

Ken

Really depends on the frequencies you intend on using and what your budget is.
LMR400 would be the absolute minimum I'd run for 125 feet. If I was doing this myself, I'd probably bite the bullet and step up to LMR600 or, more than likely, 1/2" heliax. If I was going to be transmitting in the UHF or higher bands, 7/8" heliax.

For hobbyist use and considering an appropriate budget, LMR400 would be fine. For just receiving, RG-6 has got some pretty good performance and it's cheap and easy to terminate.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Really depends on the frequencies you intend on using and what your budget is.
LMR400 would be the absolute minimum I'd run for 125 feet. If I was doing this myself, I'd probably bite the bullet and step up to LMR600 or, more than likely, 1/2" heliax. If I was going to be transmitting in the UHF or higher bands, 7/8" heliax.

For hobbyist use and considering an appropriate budget, LMR400 would be fine. For just receiving, RG-6 has got some pretty good performance and it's cheap and easy to terminate.

I would worry about loading on that tower, it looks pretty lightweight.

Status
Not open for further replies.