Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpm

Had my 325p2 in for repairs for almost three weeks. Radio returned 3/25/16 on Friday and appears as scanner is loosing the control channel on a trunked system and radio ids the 996p2 is receiving is either delayed or doesn't pick up the 325p2. Any ideas and help would be much appreciated thanks.

JamesO

Try to compare radios on an external or mobile antenna to see if there is some soft of RF leakage or shielding problem like the BCD436HP - http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/337172-436-how-improve-your-uhf-reception.html

I would guess that at the Uniden Repair facility they use an external antenna because they are likely inside the core of a commercial building and have lots of test equipment in the repair area that would make reception inside the Repair Facility very difficult. So in this case, they may overlook some of the shielding or RF leakage problems in the handheld scanners.

jpm

This is only on the STARCOM 21 tower 115 on the 325p2 and the 996p2 receiving all transmissions. Will try the base antenna to the 325p2.

Last edited:

jpm

repair explained

Before I sent the 325p2 in for repairs, I was walking the dog and after taking scanner off my belt clip to turn up volume dog jerk the leash attempting to chase a squirrel and thus dropping on the concrete sidewalk. Uniden replaced keypad, which due to the numbers fading during normal operation and unfortunately this was a issue Uniden had as we saw on previous portable scanners. Worked on the control board also keypad contact sheet. I tried the base as well as the mobile antennas no problem with picking up control channel constantly on the 325p2. When I use the following portable antennas, Laird 800 mhz bnc and a multi band bnc antenna the control channel is in a finding mode. Frequency for the control is 852.9375. These portable antennas worked great on the 996p2 with no issue in loosing the control channel. Appears to be a issue while unit was serviced. Will have to call Uniden but I hate pushing numbers to talk with someone more so when the operator sends one to the wrong extension as previously encountered with such.

jpm

Also add I use a Kenwood lapel speaker/PTT mic / antenna built on mic housing which I converted just for speaker mode that also is a issue with loosing the control channel. Antenna for Kenwood conversion is a 800 mhz only use. Also converted a Motorola speaker mic to speaker mode. Both these conversion work great for the speaker mode.

JamesO

Sounds like a possible signal leakage/shielding problem. Might be a cracked or broken ground or shielding connection that is poor.

Good luck conveying this info to repair. As mentioned, if the repair center connects an external antenna, they will not observe this problem.

jpm

Repairs included replaced control board, could the replacement of this part be the reason why I have this current new problem. Before I sent unit to shop there was no issue with this interference, I just don't want the repair shop claiming this is another issue and more $$$$ out of my pocket.

JamesO

My way to doing business on crazy problems these days is by making a video and either sending a flash drive with the video and/or providing a URL link for the shop to view the video.

Seems you can use your 2 scanners to prove or demonstrate the problem.

I assume Uniden has a Warranty on their repairs for at least 90 days?? Might need to check.

But something like shielding tape, a ground strap, grounding fingers or loose hardware could cause a problem as you mention.

jpm

My way to doing business on crazy problems these days is by making a video and either sending a flash drive with the video and/or providing a URL link for the shop to view the video.

Seems you can use your 2 scanners to prove or demonstrate the problem.

I assume Uniden has a Warranty on their repairs for at least 90 days?? Might need to check.

But something like shielding tape, a ground strap, grounding fingers or loose hardware could cause a problem as you mention.
y

So far unable to email Uniden I guess they aren't up to par with the modern day business, at work someone is actually working on the internet for great customer support all day actually checking and responding to emails. There is a 90 day warranty but I don't want them to claim it is another problem and charge me again for repairs.

Last edited:

jpm

Three weeks later since the key pad replacement and the characters are beginning to fade again. Why was this replaced for payment and no solution to fix this problem? But still happy with the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.