• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Repeater issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

1clo1

Hi guys hopefully someone one here can help me. Have a couple radios that we use and the portableshirts work fine, however the mobile has a sound almost like a repeater tail . It does it every few seconds, the portable doesn't have that problem.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this issue?
They both communicate fine with each other just the mobile gets annoying after a while.

fyrfyter33

Is your mobile sending DTMF tones or an audio burst tone? Both of those are possibilities. There should be info on this in the manual.

N2AL

Hi guys hopefully someone one here can help me. Have a couple radios that we use and the portableshirts work fine, however the mobile has a sound almost like a repeater tail . It does it every few seconds, the portable doesn't have that problem.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this issue?

They both communicate fine with each other just the mobile gets annoying after a while.

What are the make and model numbers of the radios you are using?

1clo1

I don't think they are I have checked that. Wouldn't that just do it when someone transmits on the mobile? Not every 5 seconds?
Also if it was sending the tones, wouldn't the other radios hear it, not just the mobile?

N2AL

Finding the types of radios used may help in furthering the reason for the radio's behavior. This is an interesting problem.

nd5y

...the mobile has a sound almost like a repeater tail . It does it every few seconds, the portable doesn't have that problem...
What exactly is the sound? Does it sound like a burst of white noise like you hear when the squelch is opened with no signal present? We don't know what you think a "repeater tail" sounds like. That could mean different things to different people.

1clo1

What exactly is the sound? Does it sound like a burst of white noise like you hear when the squelch is opened with no signal present? We don't know what you think a "repeater tail" sounds like. That could mean different things to different people.
Yes that's what it sounds like, I assume it was a repeater tail, as it's the same sound that I get when we key off the mic. My apologies. It's a burst of white noise about a second long and it does it every 5 seconds or so.

ecps92

So only when your MIC is off-hook, do you hear it ?

Sounds like someone might be running LTR on the same Freq

what is the Location and Freq ??
Yes that's what it sounds like, I assume it was a repeater tail, as it's the same sound that I get when we key off the mic. My apologies. It's a burst of white noise about a second long and it does it every 5 seconds or so.

nd5y

It sounds like possibly a cheap chinese receiver being desensed by a nearby LTR, GPS RTK or something else that makes transmissions every few seconds, or something like that on your frequency, but it could be something else.

Does this only happen while moving?

1clo1

So only when your MIC is off-hook, do you hear it ?

Sounds like someone might be running LTR on the same Freq

what is the Location and Freq ??

I'll check the frequency I'm not sure of the top of my head, if it was an LTR issue wouldn't be on all radios not just the mobile. It happens all the time not just when I'm moving.

They are all cheap Chinese radios, so if that's the case the portables should be doing it as well.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
It sounds like possibly a cheap chinese receiver being desensed by a nearby LTR, GPS RTK or something else that makes transmissions every few seconds, or something like that on your frequency, but it could be something else.

Does this only happen while moving?
RTK GPS data link transmits roughly every half second, not every few seconds.

ecps92

Generally Mobiles can hear farther than a portable would

I'll check the frequency I'm not sure of the top of my head, if it was an LTR issue wouldn't be on all radios not just the mobile. It happens all the time not just when I'm moving.

They are all cheap Chinese radios, so if that's the case the portables should be doing it as well.

1clo1

Generally Mobiles can hear farther than a portable would
I was looking into the issue some more with the portable, If I turn the squelch all the way off I get the issue on the portable as well, so looks like the squelch was turned up on the portable. I'm guessing if I turn the squelch up on the mobile it's would work as well.

Any other ideas on how to silence it?

Delta33

Cheap chinese radios are lacking in features such as squelch tail muting, unlike professional industry radios have so probably not.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Here are some guesses :)

The Leixen has a 'tail elimination' feature. It's ON by default, but if it got turned to OFF somewhere along the line, you will hear a burst similar to a repeater squelch tail at the end of transmissions.

I don't know about the repeating white noise.. Did a scanning function get turned on inadvertently?

1clo1

Here are some guesses :)

The Leixen has a 'tail elimination' feature. It's ON by default, but if it got turned to OFF somewhere along the line, you will hear a burst similar to a repeater squelch tail at the end of transmissions.

I don't know about the repeating white noise.. Did a scanning function get turned on inadvertently?
t
Its not at the end of a transmission, it happens while the radio is idle, not transmitting or receiving but waiting for a transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.