Repeater question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
I live within 2 miles of a dispatch center, My reception there for them is not good. I work 5 miles away(about 20 miles from the center) from one of 6 repeater sites that they rebroadcast on, my reception there is great. What gives here? Should I be looking for a frequency that they are transmitting to the repeaters on? If so where? I know it works that way in the 800 mhz range but this is a frequency of 155.22 and 154.43

fineshot1

Most dispatch centers use either microwave, Terrestrial T1 or dedicated circuits to get audio to/from the outer lying sites. Sometimes RF links are used but not as common as the other choices. Until you determine what configuration they have you are taking a shot in the dark. Your reception problems could also be related to many other different causes.

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
Thanks fineshot1, I don't see any microwave or directional antennas on the centers tower. I do have another state tower that is closer to me in the same Mhz range. There single is very strong.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Kenny and all,

For a start you can look up the license(s) at http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Uls...H3A1zmwUbfci9XhGiGdoVlGWJ!57500473!-619655085 and see what frequencies are in use at each tower site. Then you can use those appropriate to whichever location you are at. Since likely there are multiple frequencies in use with some common to all towers just sort them out and experiment with what seems appropriate. Not necessarily a cure but worth a try.

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
kb2vxa said:
Hi Kenny and all,

For a start you can look up the license(s) at http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Uls...H3A1zmwUbfci9XhGiGdoVlGWJ!57500473!-619655085 and see what frequencies are in use at each tower site. Then you can use those appropriate to whichever location you are at. Since likely there are multiple frequencies in use with some common to all towers just sort them out and experiment with what seems appropriate. Not necessarily a cure but worth a try.

Thanks kb2vxa, but I did try that. They don't list any frequencies that aren't transmitted from the repeater sites. Just thought that maybe there was a formula used in this band like the 45 mhz spread used in the 800 mhz band from site to repeater.

n8emr

kennyloatman said:
I live within 2 miles of a dispatch center, My reception there for them is not good. I work 5 miles away(about 20 miles from the center) from one of 6 repeater sites that they rebroadcast on, my reception there is great. What gives here? Should I be looking for a frequency that they are transmitting to the repeaters on? If so where? I know it works that way in the 800 mhz range but this is a frequency of 155.22 and 154.43

Location of dispatch center doesnt define the location of the transmitters. While there may be transmitters on the building they may not be the repeaters your trying to talk to.
As for freq to the transmitter, They may not be using radio. It may be direct wired, digital or non RF method. They may also dispatch on the input just like your mobiles do. Depending on who owns the RF gear and handles the license you many never be able to find out if the transmitter is registered to a local radio shop with hundreds of license.

Go to the fcc site http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Uls...KdTkzZw1JTJh5hv12CbBlqK!1263323130!-702384051

and search for one of your local frequencies, From there you will find out the FRN or owner name, do further searches on that FRN/name.

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
n8emr said:
Location of dispatch center doesnt define the location of the transmitters. While there may be transmitters on the building they may not be the repeaters your trying to talk to.
As for freq to the transmitter, They may not be using radio. It may be direct wired, digital or non RF method. They may also dispatch on the input just like your mobiles do. Depending on who owns the RF gear and handles the license you many never be able to find out if the transmitter is registered to a local radio shop with hundreds of license.

Go to the fcc site http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Uls...KdTkzZw1JTJh5hv12CbBlqK!1263323130!-702384051

and search for one of your local frequencies, From there you will find out the FRN or owner name, do further searches on that FRN/name.
Okay, I see what you guys are saying, This could be just a building where the dispatchers are and the transmitters are in another location. I will do some more homeworks, Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.