Repeater tower space Fort Worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX5812

Hello all,
how would I go about finding tower space in the north Fort Worth\denton\decatur area for a repeater that won't cost an arm and a leg something about 100-200 foot? can anybody point me in the right direction?

nd5y

What kind of repeater is it? What radio service is it for?
Findng a tower is one thing. That will not be cheap in the DFW area. Installing a repeater and antenna that meets all standards and codes will not be cheap, even if you can find somebody qualified and approved by the tower owner to do the labor at no charge.

WX5812

it'll be a 70cm ham repeater. I would rather find an individual that has a tower on there property that would allow me to put an antenna on it or a business that has an old tower thats not being used

bill4long

Hello all,
how would I go about finding tower space in the north Fort Worth\denton\decatur area for a repeater that won't cost an arm and a leg something about 100-200 foot? can anybody point me in the right direction?

You could try making friends with the local managers of the municipal towers. Sometimes you can get on muni towers for free if you can make a case for the need of it for ARES or RACES or some other public good. I am curious why you are interested in putting up a repeater when so many already exist and so many go unused most of the time. What are you trying to accomplish?

WX5812

Yea I know there is many out there being unused. I have a uhf repeater and a 4 band frequency agile remote base 2,440,220,6 meters that I would really like to get some use out of

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
it'll be a 70cm ham repeater. I would rather find an individual that has a tower on there property that would allow me to put an antenna on it or a business that has an old tower thats not being used

Not to rain too much on your parade. This area is repeater rich. Example from repeater book shows 74 repeaters in a 25 mile radius of my home in Lewisville on 70cm, FM,D-Star,Fusion combined. Add 2m to the search and it jumps to 105 repeaters. I apologize if you are already familiar with the area. It's always a challenge for clubs and individuals to find suitable repeater locations including a repeater pair that has not already been coordinated. Last I knew all pairs have been taken, but not all are on the air (paper repeater). For paper repeaters getting that pair freed up is like the saying "from my cold dead hand".

Noble effort and I sincerely wish you the best of luck.
Mike

P.S. Seems like you have some knowledge about the area as I was slowing typing. :)

WX5812

Thanks for the input, worse comes to worse I will just set it up at the house and have it as a low power remotebase/echolink and all star repeater

WX5812

Something that I can control and do as I please is what I’m trying to accomplish, plus I’ve always wanted the old systhasizer to spit out my call and customize whatever message I wanted

prcguy

I have a remote rig in Richardson with 2m and I'm surprised how little the repeaters are used there. As I'm typing this I went through 24 stored 2m repeater freqs and only one had traffic just now. Same with 440 when I'm visiting there.

If you want a repeater for yourself and friends go ahead, otherwise how are you going to get people interested in your repeater unless it does something extra special?

Status
Not open for further replies.