Repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDM88

Quick question,

I am new to HAM radio (studying for license currently) and I was doing some research on local repeaters in my area (North Idaho, Boundary County), I see some listed repeaters but no "tone in" "tone out" values, how does one key into a repeater when there is no tone listed?

Forgive me for the newbie question...

Thanks,
Mark

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Quick question,

I am new to HAM radio (studying for license currently) and I was doing some research on local repeaters in my area (North Idaho, Boundary County), I see some listed repeaters but no "tone in" "tone out" values, how does one key into a repeater when there is no tone listed?

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

If there is no tone listed, it could be that the repeater does not have a tone protecting the repeater. In which a case, transmitting a carrier on the repeater with out a tone would activate the repeater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N5TWB

Quick question,

Thanks,
Mark
Hi Mark,

If there is no tone listed, it could be that the repeater does not have a tone protecting the repeater. In which a case, transmitting a carrier on the repeater with out a tone would activate the repeater.

The technical name for operating an open repeater with no tone-code is COS - Carrier Operated Squelch, meaning exactly as stated in the answer above that any carrier on that frequency will be repeated. The technical name for using a tone code to open a repeater is CTCSS - Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System. Motorola gave it a trade name of Private Line and that's why the codes are called PL codes today.

Most repeater coordinating bodies really prefer that repeater owners use CTCSS. In more remote areas, as I assume the panhandle of Idaho is, coordinating organizations might be a little more open-minded. In areas with large numbers of repeaters, you will be required to use tone codes in order to get a coordinated repeater pair.

MDM88

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your response, I am finding the HAM community to be quite welcoming with a wealth of knowledge and people ready to share.

MDM88

The technical name for operating an open repeater with no tone-code is COS - Carrier Operated Squelch, meaning exactly as stated in the answer above that any carrier on that frequency will be repeated. The technical name for using a tone code to open a repeater is CTCSS - Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System. Motorola gave it a trade name of Private Line and that's why the codes are called PL codes today.

Most repeater coordinating bodies really prefer that repeater owners use CTCSS. In more remote areas, as I assume the panhandle of Idaho is, coordinating organizations might be a little more open-minded. In areas with large numbers of repeaters, you will be required to use tone codes in order to get a coordinated repeater pair.
Thank you for the information!

n5ims

You can think of a tone as a filter. If you have a tone set you'll only hear a station or repeater that transmits the same tone you have set. The only time a tone is required is when you want to use a repeater (or talk to another station) that requires a specific tone be sent for their radio to unmute. For that situation, you need to transmit a tone, but may or may not use a tone on receive. Be aware that at times a repeater may require a tone for it to retransmit your signal, but may not send a tone back. In that situation, you will need to set your station to only transmit a tone, but not require one to receive that repeater. A few repeaters may require one tone to transmit through the repeater and transmit a different tone back to you. Many radios will not properly handle this, but don't worry too much since there's an easy workaround, just program the needed tone on transmit and no tone on receive.

Most transceivers allow you to set no tone, a tone on transmit, or a tone on both transmit and receive. No tone will allow you to hear any station or repeater regardless of what tone they use or even if they don't use any tone at all. Setting a tone only on transmit will make it so you can be heard by a repeater or other station that requires that tone to be on for them to hear you. Setting a tone on both transmit and receive will allow a repeater (or station) that requires that tone to hear you and make it so you will only hear a repeater (or station) that's transmitting that tone. Often a radio will indicate what mode you have the tone set. If no tone is set (transmit or receive), it will show nothing in the tone area. If tone is set only on transmit, it'll show a "T" in the tone area. If a tone is set on both transmit and receive it'll show a "CT" in the tone area. Be aware that this is for CTCSS tones, there will be something similar for DCS tone settings, if those are set.

CTCSS and DCS are both analog styles of tones. CTCSS is a continuous tone that's generally too low for you to hear, but high enough for your radio to transmit and be received (some folks can hear a low hum when some of the higher tones are used). DCS or Digital Code Squelch, is a digital signal but sends a slow speed digital signal using similar tones to CTCSS in that they're too low for you to hear but high enough for your radio to send and receive. Don't be fooled by the word "Digital" in the name, it's designed for analog use. Digital signals have their own way of doing the same type of filtering.

CTCSS and DCS are the more generic terms for those types of tones. Some of the major companies may have their own terms that are simply their own way of saying the same thing. For example, Motorola calls CTCSS tones "PL" or "Private Line". They also call DCS tones "DPL" or "Digital Private Line".

KE0GXN

Thank you for your response, I am finding the HAM community to be quite welcoming with a wealth of knowledge and people ready to share.

If you haven’t already, seek out your local club. One of best ham radio decisions I made was becoming a club member.

Speaking of repeaters, I got to help put one together last weekend. My club took down our main club repeater to fix some issues and install a DMR machine into the cabinet. Pretty intresting to get to see how all that comes together. We are now waiting on some miscellaneous parts and I am looking forward to going out to the actual site and helping out with getting it put out at the tower site.

None of that experience would have been possible if was not part of the club. Find your club and I can almost guarantee you will not regret it. Lots of help and experiences can be gained with a club.

Good luck on your test!

KC5AKB

Good luck Mark and if you would like to talk about radio just yell the e mail is kc5akb @arrl.net
Just take the space out and it will work.
Look for a club walk in and say hi to a few folks and let the know you are looking for info . Www.w5yi.org www.arrl.org Www.hamstudy.org Www.hamtestonline.com and many more study and info links out there .
You got this .There is so much our there in ham radio to do . Www.laurelvec.com
Have fun and welcome - Ric in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.