Replacement antenna suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

slvco

I am new to scanners, the BCD536HP being my first. I'm former LEO, and we switched to a digital trunking before I retired. I'd like to be able to pick up those signals, as well as any local military, airport and other dispatch and first responder departments who aren't using trunking systems. I'm not sure about the frequencies, uhf/vhf, etc., and only know the connection type. I'd ideally like two antenna, one for using the scanner in my vehicle, and one for using it in my home, a very remote mountain valley area without great service for the trunking systems. Might anyone have suggestions? I went to take pictures of the fall foliage yesterday, and scanner (unsecured accidentally) dropped while the antenna was connected/extended and snapped off between the rear seat cushions.

Separately, do you know a part number or thread size for those screws that hold the scanner in the bracket?

Thank you. Location, if it matters for LEO/EMS/Fire I'd like to pick up is San Luis Valley/81101/Colorado area.

K4EET

Chaplain
I am not positive, but are the folks you want to listen to in Alamosa County on the State of Colorado DTRS Trunking System? See:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=329

about a third of the way down the page and you should see this:

Alamosa_Talkgroups.jpg

If that is correct, you'll need to program the State of Colorado DTRS Trunking System into your scanner.

Let me know if I'm in the right ballpark. :)

Cheers! Dave

K4EET

Chaplain

slvco

Hi, and thanks for both answers.

Dave, I primarily do scan the State of Colorado DTRS channel, and have programmed the channels via the Uniden Sentinel program. Thanks for the suggestions to RR, though I'm just beginning my radio hobby and would eventually like to broadcast, but am looking for an antenna. I'm in the mouth of a canyon, and if I stood on a ladder a top my home, I could see the mountain the tower sits on, but have no antenna stand, nor funds to purchase one. Would you suggest the other user's scanner suggestion, too? I'm mainly looking to receive, and also looking for both a car and home antenna, so I can switch the scanner depending on need. Thanks for your assistance, and for your gold line service.

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi, and thanks for both answers. <snip> Would you suggest the other user's scanner suggestion, too? I'm mainly looking to receive, and also looking for both a car and home antenna, so I can switch the scanner depending on need. Thanks for your assistance, and for your gold line service.

slvco,

For your receive antenna, what band(s) do you need to monitor? That will influence the type of antenna that would be recommended. If you want to monitor from VLF (25 MHz) to SHF (1.3 GHz) that would be one type of antenna (broadband). On the other hand, if you were going to spend 99% of the time just monitoring the State of Colorado DTRS system at 800 MHz, you might want to invest in a more narrow bandwidth 800 MHz antenna hence higher gain than a broadband receive antenna. What band(s) do you foresee monitoring?

Since this thread has a title of "Replacement Antenna Suggestions" and not "Need Help Picking a Base and Mobile Antenna" with the specifics of what band(s) you want to monitor, I would suggest starting a new thread in the

The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Antennas and Associated Hardware sub-forum

where you will get more visibility for your question. Also, do a search of that sub-forum to see what has already been discussed.

I'll be watching for your reply, either in this thread but preferably in a new thread in the suggested Antennas and Associated Hardware sub-forum.

Cheers! Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.