• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Replacement for the Discontinued Radio Shack 20-161 Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

oft

Premium Subscriber
Looking through old threads, I have noticed that people were looking for information for tuning on this old obsolete antenna. Instead of opening up the old threads that ended years ago (which is frowned upon), I decided to start a new one to let people know that while searching their webpage for something else, I came across the fact that Radio Shack is now selling this antenna online as part number 20-551

RadioShack Indoor Telescopic Scanner Antenna : Antennas and dummy loads | RadioShack.com

It appears to have the same specs of:

6 stainless-steel telescoping sections extend antenna from 16" to 40"
Center-loaded coil for best reception
VHF band from 30~512MHz.

But the main difference now is that instead of the old right-angle Motorola antenna plug (and later on the right-angle PL-259), the antenna now has a right-angle BNC connector affixed to the antenna.

Also, there is a pdf of the new 20-551 antenna available for download

http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/2000551_QS_EN.pdf

which basically states to extend all sections out to get the entire 30-512 MHZ range.

Status
Not open for further replies.