Replacement SMA antenna for 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2IRT

Hi all,
Thanks to a friend in my radio club, I'm now the proud owner of a used 396XT. Physical condition is a tad rough but that's fine since it works 100%. The only thing is the rubber duck antenna is cracked all the way through. Before I order an OEM replacement, I'm wondering if there's any wide-band SMA mount scanner antenna that's preferred, or if I should just go ahead and order a direct replacement.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

teufler

THEY HAVE BEEN MANY DISCUSSIONS ON DIFFERENT RUBBER DUCKS. Some prefer a RadioShack 800 mhz model, some have taken a motorla stock 800 mhz antenna and put a male to male sma connector on it. Some use the Austin Condor antenna. I have tried them all, I prefer the Austin Condor antenna.
http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-owner-tech-support/293179-replacement-sma-antenna-396xt.html
It produces 1-2 bars better than the stock uniden antenna. Range is about 25 miles. Outside antenna produce ranges from 35 miles or more. A beam works out to 100 miles or more. Even an old tv antenna that might still be on the house works pretty good.

W2IRT

THEY HAVE BEEN MANY DISCUSSIONS ON DIFFERENT RUBBER DUCKS. Some prefer a RadioShack 800 mhz model, some have taken a motorla stock 800 mhz antenna and put a male to male sma connector on it. Some use the Austin Condor antenna. I have tried them all, I prefer the Austin Condor antenna.
http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-owner-tech-support/293179-replacement-sma-antenna-396xt.html
It produces 1-2 bars better than the stock uniden antenna. Range is about 25 miles. Outside antenna produce ranges from 35 miles or more. A beam works out to 100 miles or more. Even an old tv antenna that might still be on the house works pretty good.

Awesome. Ordered, and thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.