PSR500/PSR600: Replacing BNC on PSR-500 scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprite1741

The pin off my antenna broke off inside the BNC connector on the PSR500. Don't know how it happened, must have put a strain on it at some point. Can not get the broken pin out as it is recessed and I can't get hold of it. I ordered a new BNC connector but I noticed it is under some metal shields on both sides. I would prefer to remove only one, but not sure how this is connected and which one to remove. Not fun removing those as they are soldered in multiple places. Has anyone had this before and replaced the BNC? Doesn't look like a fun job and I don't want to tear up the scanner any more than I have to. I like the stock antenna, anyone know when i might get a replacement.

Joseph11

Though I don't have information on replacing the BNC connector, you can get a replacement OEM antenna here. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sprite1741

Thanks, I forgot Whistler had parts. I checked my GRE antenna against several including the 800 mhz version and it performed the best all around, that's why I wanted another one.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PSR-500 Antenna BNC

I had a recent failure of the antenna BNC inside a PSR-500 as well. I was able to repair the connection, rather than replace the BNC. However, I needed to unsolder and remove all of the shielding to get to the solder joints. I was further frustrated by the "glue" (epoxy?) placed on top of the solder for the shielding.

What I see as the issue here is that the BNC, which can move from external physical stress, is soldered rigid to the PCB with NO strain-relief. I realize a small wire used as a strain relief would also act as an inductor and possibly reduce signal though.

Delta33

The pin off my antenna broke off inside the BNC connector on the PSR500. Don't know how it happened, must have put a strain on it at some point. Can not get the broken pin out as it is recessed and I can't get hold of it. I ordered a new BNC connector but I noticed it is under some metal shields on both sides. I would prefer to remove only one, but not sure how this is connected and which one to remove. Not fun removing those as they are soldered in multiple places. Has anyone had this before and replaced the BNC? Doesn't look like a fun job and I don't want to tear up the scanner any more than I have to. I like the stock antenna, anyone know when i might get a replacement.
. Try using a Neodinyum magnet to draw the pin out of the bnc connector. I removed one using this method.

sprite1741

Glad you got yours fixed. If I could have removed the pin, I just would have bought a new antenna. Those shields are the only thing that will be a problem. I will just have to take time and remove them with care. I hope I only need to remove one. Right now I have it working. I balled up some stranded thin copper wire and shoved it in where the pin used to be. It's making a decent connection and works but I still want it fixed right. I ordered the antenna from Whistler, so just need to wait on parts. It is working as good as new for the moment, which is good because I take it with me every where.

Delta33

Glad you got yours fixed. If I could have removed the pin, I just would have bought a new antenna. Those shields are the only thing that will be a problem. I will just have to take time and remove them with care. I hope I only need to remove one. Right now I have it working. I balled up some stranded thin copper wire and shoved it in where the pin used to be. It's making a decent connection and works but I still want it fixed right. I ordered the antenna from Whistler, so just need to wait on parts. It is working as good as new for the moment, which is good because I take it with me every where.
A Neo magnet is strong enough to draw the broken pin out of the bnc connector without having to remove the bnc from the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.