Replacing loading coil and whip of D3000?

DanWho9999

I have not had a lot of luck tuning the lower frequencies (like CB radio) on my D3000. Would replacing the loading coil and whip with a different brand even work?

I have had an easier time tuning my mobile CB antenna when I switched to one with an adjustable coil versus one that looked like the coil on the D3000.

Made me wonder If I could swap out the D3000 coil with any success.

related question...

Can you even use the D3000 for a CB radio? I recall seeing a comment that you would damage your CB on a different thread.

I'm sure both of these questions point out how unfamiliar I am with any of this, but I'm just starting out...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If the coil/whip was tuned for CB, you'd be partway there.
The other half of the challenge is having a ground plane, which the discone really doesn't provide.

If CB is where you want to work, you'd be much better off with an actual CB base antenna.

DanWho9999

I figured the actual CB antenna would be better, but I'm trying to conserve a bit of space.

The Diamond D3000 is in the attic and I ran LMR-400 up to there from my basement. (works great from about 100MHZ up)

The D3000 is mainly for a scanner, but I saw a CB on sale and figured why not...

Really don't have room for another cable and I'm in a basement.

trying to keep everything inside the house because I'm in one of those HOAs that are difficult.

Even driving around, I didn't hear much on the CB other than 6 and 11 when I was using the magnetic mount antenna on my car...starting to question if the CB is worth it :)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A pair of diplexers would allow you to run a CB and a scanner over the same coaxial cable, but finding a suitable diplexer might be a challenge,

Fairly easy to make a simple CB wire antenna that you could fit in your attic.
Even driving around, I didn't hear much on the CB other than 6 and 11 when I was using the magnetic mount antenna on my car...starting to question if the CB is worth it :)

Some will disagree, but that's exactly why I no longer install a CB in my truck. Last half cross country trip I did it was of very little use to me.

Ubbe

The loading coil are both a way to isolate the whip from the discone at higher frequencies and to shorten the whip length. It is tuned to 50MHz uncut and for 27Mhz the difference are 50" for a 1/4 wave that then needs to be added to the whip length.
The instruction for the discone says "Adjustable 50-54 MHz" so look if you have the proper length mentioned somewhere for a 50MHz frequency.

/Ubbe