Request: PSR-600 ProVoice® Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furtive-Fred

Premium Subscriber
Greetings,

I would like to experiment tracking provoice, will I need an older cpu/dsp version? as the radio will not track.If so could someone be kind enough to direct me to a source of the firmware? (Googled for hours)
Also I find the airband reception pathetic... tried different antennas, attenuation, amps, etc.... still poor.
I have ordered a PSR-310 for MIL/COMMS hopefully that radio will be better.Strange since I have always had a good experience with GRE that goes back a long time.
I now regret losing my Pro-43

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Greetings,

I would like to experiment tracking provoice, will I need an older cpu/dsp version? as the radio will not track.If so could someone be kind enough to direct me to a source of the firmware? (Googled for hours)
Also I find the airband reception pathetic... tried different antennas, attenuation, amps, etc.... still poor.
I have ordered a PSR-310 for MIL/COMMS hopefully that radio will be better.Strange since I have always had a good experience with GRE that goes back a long time.
I now regret losing my Pro-43

Read this thread:http://forums.radioreference.com/di...93962-following-provoice-one-scanner-dsd.html
It has info regarding ProVoice following. If your 600 has boot loader 1.3 or higher, you are SOL as the needed CPU version 1.0 will not load on that boot loader. If your boot loader is 1.0 or 1.1, then you need CPU version 1.0 to allow the scanner to follow Provoice.

Regarding the air band reception, many here have good luck using an FM trap. This is a trap that attenuates the FM broadcast band. It seems the FM stations cause the PSR-500/600 front ends to desense.
Radio Shack used to sell FM traps but I'm not sure if they still do. You also needed adapters to get from the traps "F" connectors back to BNC which is not an ideal situation but it does work. PAR Electronics also sells an excellent FM Trap with the proper connectors.
In my case, the FM trap did not help as I'm not very near any FM stations. After extensive testing, I found that my desense was caused by several local paging transmitters located on the hospitals very near my location.
I had to purchase PAR filters for the 152 and 158 paging bands in order to restore decent reception back to my GRE radios.
Once I identified and cured the source of my desense, the reception on the GRE's improved dramatically. Night and day difference.
The paging systems near me run almost 100%.
If you do have a desense problem, you need to learn how to identify the source frequency before buying any old filter. Stub filters can also be very effective at eliminating desense issues and they are easy and cheap to build but they will wipe out a wide swath of bandwidth compared to the PAR filters. Stubs are great for testing however.

n5ims

Radio Shack used to sell FM traps but I'm not sure if they still do. You also needed adapters to get from the traps "F" connectors back to BNC which is not an ideal situation but it does work. PAR Electronics also sells an excellent FM Trap with the proper connectors.

If you're using a fixed location scanner (a base scanner or a handheld that never moves) there's another option (that should put less stress on the scanner's antenna connection). Get some standard RG-6 coax, some of the compression type F connectors (to mate with those on the trap) and come of the compression type BNC connectors (to mate with your scanner). You'll sldo need the compression tool that works with both types of connectors borrow or buy as desired. Also note that the connectors in question will need to match the type of RG-6 you use (standard RG-6 is a bit smaller than RG-6 Quad Shield so the connectors are slightly different sizes on the coax end).

Status
Not open for further replies.