Requesting VSELP support for DSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCO

DSDAuthor has not posted anything since 10/10/2010 .. I have not seen anything to indicate that anyone else has moved forward with the code, although there have been many users responding to questions. No idea what happened to DSDAuthor ...

mancow

Database Admin
Trenton, NJ.

Maybe you could use the method posted in the wiki for PROVOICE systems but use a VSELP Astro Saber or Spectra instead.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
But according the to the Database on the Trenton system, all the Digital TGs are encrypted anyway, I don't think any solution is going to help.

trenton has or had plans to go to a full p25 system and go completely encrypted on all LEO TG's. this was in the plans for few years now. don't know what ever happened to those plans.

carbineone

Premium Subscriber
The city ran out of money and they paid Motorola to do a special upgrade and reband to their existing vselp system. They also just laid off over 100 cops so you won't see a p25 system here for a long time.

kb1ipd

Who still uses VSELP?

I believe it is still quite common for private operators. It is also used as one of the codecs for GSM and iDen voice. I have heard of hams experimenting with using gsm-based equipment modified for ham bands Also, it was used in DAMPS, which was phased out, but I don't know if there's a possibility of coming across some kind of unusual or private implimentation of that standard. Standard VSLEP transmissions have also been used by hams. It was used in some propriotary cordless phones, baby monitors etc.

I do agree that it would be great to have it added. It would be especially useful if there were general support for the codec in different variations, not just the Motorolla II flavor of it.

just having the option for the VSELP codec as a way of decoding any signals one might come across that use VSELP encoding. I mean, assuming it would not be too much work to add support for the codec. I believe there is already plenty of open source and avaliable VSELP code out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.