Reviews on Weather Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeB

Does anyone have a resource for weather station reviews? I am hopefully getting 1 for Christmas and want to find out which one best suites my needs. I would like to view the spec's side by side if possible and was hoping someone had a site or place i can find something like this.

Personal recommendations are also welcomed but I know this has been covered numerous times before, hence I'm looking for a review site.

CLTX11

CTracker

I agree with CLTX11. I've had mine (Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus Weather Station with Fan-Aspirated Radiation Shield) for a few years now and am very happy with it.

I run it on an older dedicated PC(xp). Here it is with the software provided with the instrument (from Davis). Here is an outdated page using Ambient Weather's Internet Software.

I can only run one at a time because of the necessary port needed.

K

kb0nly

Go with Davis, can't beat it really for an all in one package thats ready to go up.

I have an older Davis Weather Monitor II that i love.

LukeB

Thanks for the references and suggestions. I am seeing that the more you spend, the better the products. I didnt want to cover this again since there are numerous threads but the resources are very helpful.

It's looking like the Davis Vantage Pro 2. This unit has been out for a few years. Do they plan on upgrading or releasing a new model in the near future?

Just to confirm, the rain gauge comes with the Davis Vantage Pro 2? What pc software are you using and recommend to view data from a computer or a website? Who has the best prices for this model?

Are there any recommendations for lightning detection or sensors? Does this system allow integration of something like this?

Last edited:

CTracker

Do they plan on upgrading or releasing a new model in the near future?

As in many cases, the consumer is the last to know. Occasionally you'll find some inside 'sccop' if you monitor enough weather forums. Doubtful 'tho.

Just to confirm, the rain gauge comes with the Davis Vantage Pro 2?

Correct. The rain cone is located in the black circular part (see pic).

The smaller black thing near the top right is housing for UV Sensors etc.

What pc software are you using and recommend to view data from a computer or a website? Who has the best prices for this model?

This is in my first post; "Here it is with the software provided . . ." etc..

"best prices?" Once I decided on the model I wanted I Googled it specifically and did some research. There IS quite a bit of difference between vendors. Some have it obscenely over priced while others offer it at a decent price and are fairly competitive. I've had mine for a few years and suggest you do the same. At the time I think I found it to be Ambient Weather. Ambient Weather also offers the PC software used in the "outdated page" mentioned above.

Are there any recommendations for lightning detection or sensors? Does this system allow integration of something like this?

My interest in lightning detection lasted only a few minutes. Best I remember there are about 3 or 4 major players, all are very pricey.

What is the instrument you are talking about? Is this something that allows you to connect the console to the computer and/or website?

A cable runs from the console to a USB port. When you configure the software you'll need your FTP info so it (your PC & software) can make automatic updates to your server/website. You control (via the software) how often you want the updates made.

Attachments

• vp2p.jpg
    vp2p.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 478
  • D-6162C-2T.jpg
    D-6162C-2T.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 462

LukeB

Excellent reply, thanks. I contacted Davis hoping for a semi-honest answer and they don't plan on releasing a replacement for this model for some time. I just didnt want to purchase this to find out that in 6 months a new one was going to be released.

I think you answered all of my questions CT, thanks!

CTracker

Glad you found it useful. Have fun with your WX Station. XMass present? :D

I got me mine for BDay.
smilie.gif

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
I just bought and installed a Vantage Pro 2 after much research too. It exceeds what I had expected in most ways.

Also, a company called "ProVantage" had the lowest price I could find (much lower than most others).

LukeB

Also, a company called "ProVantage" had the lowest price I could find (much lower than most others).

Wow!! When you said much lower, I thought perhaps $20-$30 cheaper at most. Those prices are way cheaper to the tune of $100-$120 cheaper than anywhere else. I may have to jump on this today! Thanks for the heads up.

I was looking at the one with the Fan Aspirated Radiation Shield and it sells for a bit more. Can anyone comment on this feature or model? Is it worth it? How does it work? On the recommended site, the one with the 24 hour Fan Aspirated Radiation Shield sells for less than I've seen the Standard Radiation Shield sold for on other sites. I'm just not sure how much its worth it.

Last edited:

LukeB

I've done some additional research and viewed some of the software mentioned in this thread. I am not a big fan of what i've seen so far. Any other suggestions on something easy to read, looks nice and not old and outdated?

I would like to view something nice on the computer. The supplied display only has so much.

Also, I was curious to know how well the IR penetrates walls and such? I am trying to find an ideal location that isnt overly exposed to sunlight but will allow the signal to make it to the console. Any suggestions, feedback?

Mod's, if you want to make this a new thread, feel free. I figured I would only clutter up the weather thread with another post so I spun it off of my original thread.

Last edited:

K9GTJ

I just bought and installed a Vantage Pro 2 after much research too. It exceeds what I had expected in most ways.

I also purchased from ProVantage many years ago with a great price. (You can see my weather station line by checking my sig.)

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
Santa brought me the weather link software for my Vantage Pro2. I just installed it and put some of the data on the web here: http://www.theradioroom.org/WX/weather.htm

I think the weather link software works fine; nothing too fancy but enough to do what I want. I do realize that much more can be done with the wx data, but for now it works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.