Revisiting the Pro-18 and X2 TDMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans13

I was thinking along the same lines, phillydjdan. If the hardware is close to identical then someone with a hex editor working on the nearest model firmware image with Phase II capability stands a very good chance at making an upgrade through minor edits and then upgrading with that firmware. Sometimes, it's just a simple matter of changing ID bytes in the firmware image so the flash loader will upload it.

We did that with the Dell Axims years ago and it took us one session online to accomplish it as a group. We took a lot of heat in some computer magazines for it. However, our work saved a ton of bricked Axims for Dell because their process couldn't overcome the ID bytes that we were able to modify. If I owned a Pro-18, I would be working on it right now.

Haley

phillydjdan and Hans13, at this point with a discontinued scanner, that is no longer supported by anyone----not really sure why it couldn't be done. I mean, would RS even care?? You guys know more about the software part than I do. Would their be legal reasons? Does someone own the Pro18 design ect. (rights to updates or whatever) , be it Whistler-GRE, or RS? Just talking out loud. Mike

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I think Don Starr has been over this before Radio Shack bought the rights for the PRO-18 from GRE so it would be very against the law for anybody to try to reverse engineer the firmware or software for the PRO-18 without the written permission from Radio Shack. GRE stated one time to me in an email that anything dealing with the PRO-18 would be released by Radio Shack not GRE not to call or email GRE on this matter. This is what I received from GRE when asked if the PRO-18 was the same as the PSR800.

Haley

I think Don Starr has been over this before Radio Shack bought the rights for the PRO-18 from GRE so it would be very against the law for anybody to try to reverse engineer the firmware or software for the PRO-18 without the written permission from Radio Shack. GRE stated one time to me in an email that anything dealing with the PRO-18 would be released by Radio Shack not GRE not to call or email GRE on this matter. This is what I received from GRE when asked if the PRO-18 was the same as the PSR800.

Well, I guess that would answer my questions. So If RS goes under-----then It should not matter, unless somebody else comes along that is, and buys the rights. Sure would have been nice of RS to just post a firmware upgrade. At this point though, I know it hardly matters. Mike

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
We could argue this till we're all blue in the face, it's a non productive argument and not a direction I want my thread to go in.

Rob
K2RJJ

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Sorry but I tried every way possible to get RS or GRE to release the updated firmware and the only way is for RS to drop the rites even if RS goes under they still own it. I would love to have Phase2 on my 18 also.

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
I'm not against a 3rd party intervening and offering a solution free or otherwise, am also not against paying Don a fee if that was doable. But as far as any more talk about the software is concerned that's for another thread.

Rob
K2RJJ

Hans13

Would their be legal reasons?

Technically there might be for the end user but, IMHO, action on it would be unlikely. Dell tried to threaten, both in magazine interviews and through non-attorney third parties while at the same time offering to pay me a fee to teach their techs how we did it so their techs didn't have to refer people to us to unbrick legitimately updated Axims bricked by Dell tech support. I gave them my full contact information and, of course, I turned down their offer. No attorney ever contacted me. The threats were empty.

Hans13

We could argue this till we're all blue in the face, it's a non productive argument and not a direction I want my thread to go in.

Rob
K2RJJ

I agree. The information and suggestion is now out there for anyone interested. IMHO, no need to explore it further here.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I'm not against a 3rd party intervening and offering a solution free or otherwise, am also not against paying Don a fee if that was doable. But as far as any more talk about the software is concerned that's for another thread.

Rob
K2RJJ

It would definitely make things a lot easy for some of us that like to modify and hack system files or firmware. I don't think releasing that information would have any impact of the sale of the RS Pro-668.

Radio Shack has more important issues to deal with.At this point I don't think they are too concerned about a discontinued scanner and it's ability to give us a few more features.

rtsims

Pro18 Parts

Currently Radioshack has the Front case assembly that include the lcd cover for $17.88 if anyone is in need of a new face .

DJ11DLN

Well I'm happy to be proved wrong on my, "It's a souped-up Pro-107" theory, which I admit always seemed pretty far-fetched. Maybe once RS is history the intellectual rights will be up for grabs and something could be done. I also would be willing to pay for ongoing support. Great radios.

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
I was thinking along the same lines, phillydjdan. If the hardware is close to identical then someone with a hex editor working on the nearest model firmware image with Phase II capability stands a very good chance at making an upgrade through minor edits and then upgrading with that firmware. Sometimes, it's just a simple matter of changing ID bytes in the firmware image so the flash loader will upload it.

We did that with the Dell Axims years ago and it took us one session online to accomplish it as a group. We took a lot of heat in some computer magazines for it. However, our work saved a ton of bricked Axims for Dell because their process couldn't overcome the ID bytes that we were able to modify. If I owned a Pro-18, I would be working on it right now.

You could actually be on to something there. If one were to examine the flashes of the the ws-1080, pro-668, psr-800, and the pro-18 one would figure out quickly that the first byte is kind of unique. In the PSR-800 for example it is EE and it's the same for all the flash upgrades, the WS-1080 it's E6 and again the same through all the flash upgrades. The PRO-668 is E6 and again never changes. The Pro-18 is EC but there is only 1 firmware released and nothing to compare it to, however the curious can visit here to view it http://scanner-update.com/0602903/public/ User: 903Public Password: glew%g93

Now all I need to do is figure how to setup a website to host it and then I can play with it..lol.. Anyway it's just some speculation and food for thought.

Rob
K2RJJ

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
Pro-668 shold be E4 not E6 typo and for some reason I was unable to edit it.

Rob
K2RJJ

Haley

Rob, very interesting the work you have done. Just happened to check for this thread today. Not that it matters but, E4 , might be the same as a hypothetical ED for the 18? 668 just one update ahead more or less. Anyway, interested in what your doing. Mike

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
Rob, very interesting the work you have done. Just happened to check for this thread today. Not that it matters but, E4 , might be the same as a hypothetical ED for the 18? 668 just one update ahead more or less. Anyway, interested in what your doing. Mike

Changing the first byte from EE to EC did in fact allow it to begin the write process, however the scanner rejected the write as it finished. My theory here is probably a bad checksum value.. It will be a little while before I'm able to play with it again, but I will get back to it..

Rob
K2RJJ

Last edited:

Haley

Sounds like your on the right trail then. Keep us posted when you can. Very interesting thread , one of the better ones on the site! Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.