• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

RF over Fiber Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherazi

hi!

I need a converter to connect RF antenna with Radio. Distance between antenna & its radio is about 100meters. I want to replace typical coaxial cable with fiber optic to avoid losses.
Is there any converter available through which we can Transcieve RF signal over Fiber optic. Please help

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
hi!

I need a converter to connect RF antenna with Radio. Distance between antenna & its radio is about 100meters. I want to replace typical coaxial cable with fiber optic to avoid losses.
Is there any converter available through which we can Transcieve RF signal over Fiber optic. Please help

Yes, there is, but it's not cheap, easy or something that a hobbyist or consumer can do. You have to have equipment at the radio end and equipment at the antenna end. Basically the RF from the radio gets turned way down low. The electronics convert the RF signal to an optical signal and send it across the fiber. At the other end, the optics are converted back to RF, but then you have to boost the power back up. Again, not easy or inexpensive, generally reserved for indoor cellular applications or distributed antenna systems.

The easier way to do this is to install your radio at the antenna location and then use a remote control to run the radio. Much easier and cheaper solution. Depending on the type of radio you have will dictate exactly how it's done, but many commercial radios have the capability to do this. It requires what's called a DC remote or a Tone Remote, depending on how much functionality you need.
Some newer systems use the data network to do this. RoIP is becoming common. RoIP = Radio over Internet Protocol.

RFI-EMI-GUY

hi!

It would be helpful to provide as much information as you can. There are many solutions. You might want to visit:

Fiber Distributed Antenna Systems

to see if this is what you need.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What MMkcenna said.

Get a radio with a removable faceplate that uses standard Cat5 or Cat6 network cable to connect between the radio and faceplate. Then mount the radio near the antenna, and use a long network cable to go between radio and faceplate. Make sure the faceplate has a speaker, otherwise you will also need to run a speaker cable from the radio to the faceplate.

Status
Not open for further replies.