RFinder DMR HT

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA2ZEY

Surprised this hasn't been more of a buzz. It's an HT based of the Runbo H1 but modified to work directly with RFinder's app. I emailed Bob, one of the developers and he said they have some exciting things planned for integration with the GPS, other DV modes, etc.

https://store10195853.ecwid.com/

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
$800 for a single HT is a bit pricey when competing against $110 radios like the MD-380.

KA2ZEY

Yeah but the MD-380 is not a full blown android computer/cell phone
With the the potential to add other DV modes and God knows what else given
The SDR platform. And it's very rugged and waterproof.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I agree the RFinder has a lot more options and features than the MD-380. But if the MD-380 does what you need it to, the extra $690 for the RFinder is hard to justify.

K4APR

This thing has potential. We should all be watching it close to see if it does well or flops. Feature creep and empty promises have already proven fatal for this boutique DMR industry. Look at the promises CS has been making and the DV4 Mobile guys. All vaporware (for the most part). Yet, I'll remain optimistic :)

dmaria

This thing has potential. We should all be watching it close to see if it does well or flops. Feature creep and empty promises have already proven fatal for this boutique DMR industry. Look at the promises CS has been making and the DV4 Mobile guys. All vaporware (for the most part). Yet, I'll remain optimistic :)

I agree. When I pull up a list for the repeaters in my area, RFinder get 6 out of 20 wrong (30%). He refuses to fix anything in the database. I don't think I am going to trust him to support an $800 radio.

KA2ZEY

Gee, for the extra $690 you could get a real Android, or I-Phone.

It seems like no one quite get one this radio does or could do. It's not just a DMR radio. Its a full SDR HT with an API mod to have RFinder software directly. It will also have many features added to it like other modes, integration with the GPS for APRS. The phone itself is very rugged and waterproof. So for $700 a phone/radio that is updatable with features doesn't seem so pricey any more.

N4KVE

While we are all speculating on the neat radio features it has, what does it do as a phone? Is it as good as the leading Android phones on the market? Whose systems will it work on? Does it do all the US cell phone freq's, & digital formats? Will the mfr put as much effort into radio FW upgrades as phone FW upgrades? There's still plenty of unknowns.

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
Won't ever buy one. I have serious issues with how rfinder obtains their repeater data...

Agreed.

I will spend $800 on it when it 1) has a 100% reliable and accurate database in it, 2) the database doesn't need a cell connection (I don't need two phones), and 3) it offers DMR and P25 as an option. I use those two formats more than anything else along with analog...

KA2ZEY

Agreed.

I will spend $800 on it when it 1) has a 100% reliable and accurate database in it, 2) the database doesn't need a cell connection (I don't need two phones), and 3) it offers DMR and P25 as an option. I use those two formats more than anything else along with analog...

You can check off #2. The data is cached unless you need bleeding edge updates. You can also use Wifi.

W2CYK

Premium Subscriber
Agreed.

Hey Navy...Bob here...W2CYK...

1. No database can EVER be 100%...we take updates/adds/deletes every day. But machines come and go...and we cannot be in 60,000 someodd QTH's at once...No other directory comes close...and things like DMR get updated from their sources daily...
2. Two options...Caching the DB queries so the device accumulates any queries as it goes along...and our new feature the Continental Preload...once you turn on both, you can run untethered...once there is a connection again the device will update itself...
3. Working on P25...don't have a release data as its not us doing it...but its coming...

Bob :)

W2CYK

Premium Subscriber
While we are all speculating on the neat radio features it has, what does it do as a phone? Is it as good as the leading Android phones on the market? Whose systems will it work on? Does it do all the US cell phone freq's, & digital formats? Will the mfr put as much effort into radio FW upgrades as phone FW upgrades? There's still plenty of unknowns.

It's a GSM cellphone...4GLTE...Its an Android so it does what Androids do...and it does work as a hotspot...

So far tested (by me personally) is AT&T and TMobile in US..Lebrara in ES, 3 in UK, VodaFone in IT...

FW updates as necessary...

Bob

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It's a GSM cellphone...4GLTE...Its an Android so it does what Androids do...and it does work as a hotspot...

So far tested (by me personally) is AT&T and TMobile in US..Lebrara in ES, 3 in UK, VodaFone in IT...

FW updates as necessary...

Bob
Brand new 4g Lte Android 5.1 quality phones can be had for $50-70 so there's that. 73, n9zas

W2CYK

Premium Subscriber
My thoughts as well. Several other options are possible for $800. 73, n9zas

There is nothing else that is point and click...no codeplugs, cables, laptop, software....I you have not seen the videos search RFinder DMR on Youtube...

Bob W2CYK de RFinder

Status
Not open for further replies.