RG 6 coax and flat coax

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasFlynn

I need to put an antenna outside on the porch . It will not be above the roof line at all .
I want to run RG6 cable from the antennae to a flat cable under the window . Its about a 20ft line and then another 5-6 ft from the inside from the window to scanner . Due you think that it will work. I am going to put the antennae on the side of one of the pillars on the porch . It will only go up to the bottom of the roof.
I am trying to get more signal than from inside mount .
Can anybody tell me whether it will help.
Thank you
Tom Flynn

K9WG

What do you mean flat cable? Do you mean 300Ohm twin lead? If so then no. There would be a big mismatch between 75Ohm coax to 300 Ohm twin lead.

thomasFlynn

flat cable

No I mean the flat cable that you have a connector on both end and you can fit it under the window . I eliminates drilling in the wall .

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
That flat cable is a serious compromise, it's extremely high loss. Running nearly 30' of coax with that piece of flat cable in between the two lengths of RG6 might eat a lot of your signal. It might actually be a wash as far as the indoor antenna versus an outdoor antenna with compromised coax.

The only way to know for sure is to try it out and compare the results. You'll probably notice more loss the higher in frequency you go, so if you're listening to 800 MHz systems, I think you might be disappointed with the results.

prcguy

The flat cable should work fine and will have very little loss since it was designed for satellite TV signals past 2GHz.
prcguy

That flat cable is a serious compromise, it's extremely high loss. Running nearly 30' of coax with that piece of flat cable in between the two lengths of RG6 might eat a lot of your signal. It might actually be a wash as far as the indoor antenna versus an outdoor antenna with compromised coax.

The only way to know for sure is to try it out and compare the results. You'll probably notice more loss the higher in frequency you go, so if you're listening to 800 MHz systems, I think you might be disappointed with the results.

n5ims

I have used the flat coax when necessary in apartment satelite installs and have had good luck with it. There is loss, so drilling the fairly small hole necessary for RG-6 is best if you can but if not, the flat coax is a good back-up plan. Using the satelite receiver's signal strength indicator, the flat coax drops the signal only a few numbers (one I remember was an 88 with the coax running through the open window and dropping to 83 when it was cut and the flat coax put under the locked window.

Just don't try to transmit using one since they handle very little power.

nanZor

For receive-only, I've used the 8" Radio Shack 15-247 flat cable with ok results. RX ONLY!

A nice step up is the flat Comet CTC-50 "window jumper". Low loss, and power levels at about 100w hf, 60w vhf, and 40w uhf.

Diamond now makes a similar product called the MGC50.

Losses are in the .3 on the low bands, .5 db at uhf, and 1.6db at 1200 mhz.

LtDoc

One alternative to that 'flat' cable is to put a 'spacer' in that window and drill a hole in the spacer. Or put a 'bulkhead' connector in it. If that 'flat' cable works for you then it's certainly one way of doing it.
- 'Doc

n5ims

One alternative to that 'flat' cable is to put a 'spacer' in that window and drill a hole in the spacer. Or put a 'bulkhead' connector in it. If that 'flat' cable works for you then it's certainly one way of doing it.
- 'Doc

The problem with the spacer solution is you can not lock your window and since the flat coax solution goes under a closed window it can generally be locked. While a locked window will only slow down a determined crook, an unlocked one will invite the opportunistic ones as well. If that window's on the second floor or higher it isn't much of an issue (especially in a single family home), but a first floor window in an appartment complex a coax running through a spacer in the window is easily seen from folks just passing by so a breakin is nearly certain to happen sooner, rather than later.

Romak3

Banned
The problem with the spacer solution is you can not lock your window and since the flat coax solution goes under a closed window it can generally be locked. While a locked window will only slow down a determined crook, an unlocked one will invite the opportunistic ones as well. If that window's on the second floor or higher it isn't much of an issue (especially in a single family home), but a first floor window in an appartment complex a coax running through a spacer in the window is easily seen from folks just passing by so a breakin is nearly certain to happen sooner, rather than later.

Not if you put in a piece from the window to the top of the frame and wedge/tack in to place. But if a dirtbag wants in, not much will stop them, other than lead poisoning. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.